Darkhorizon's GRM 2010 build!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

darkhorizon

Darkhorizon's GRM 2010 build!

Post by darkhorizon »

Turbo 3800... stock automatic... autocross'ish suspension.

1988, 4cyl, auto
113k miles
Previous TN car, pretty good condition for being 22 years old, lol

Should be fun, I plan on making it a real autox competitor, the "straight line" stuff should be fairly straightforward.
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
Nashco

Re: Darkhorizon's GRM 2010 build!

Post by Nashco »

Not much time to just be getting started now! I'm surprised you're sticking with the stock auto, as it's not known to be particularly reliable when you start throwing power at it.

How competitive are you planning to be? As in, are you willing to ditch the bumpers, door bars, etc. and strip it to the bones for minimum weight? What are your plans for the suspension and tires to make it competitive in the autocross?

Good luck, it looks like you have a long way to go in a short period of time.

Bryce
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Compared to real sports cars (1st Gen RX7's, E30 BMW's, 1st Gen Mjatas and other fare likely to be in the $201x challenges), it's *VERY* difficult to make a Fiero competitive in an AutoX environment, especially with a heavy drivetrain like the L67.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

That's what I was thinking Will. Don't forget the Civics! With about 1000 pounds less weight to move around, they put on a hell of a show! A turbo 3800 will put in good 1/4 mile times assuming the trans holds up, but that's a lot of car to be twisting around cones.

Bryce
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Nashco wrote:Not much time to just be getting started now! I'm surprised you're sticking with the stock auto, as it's not known to be particularly reliable when you start throwing power at it.

How competitive are you planning to be? As in, are you willing to ditch the bumpers, door bars, etc. and strip it to the bones for minimum weight? What are your plans for the suspension and tires to make it competitive in the autocross?

Good luck, it looks like you have a long way to go in a short period of time.

Bryce
Getting a late start on this, yea.... It should work out but I am not completely leading the project. It should be rolling/driving in full weight by the end of the month.

I am not sure on the weight redux rules, but it is my plan to make this thing as tin-can as possible.

By stock trans, I meant stock built 4t65e, not stock fiero trans.

The spirit of this project is to just do it more so than to win it I guess. The 1/4 mile is going to be the shining part of this setup, and autox will just be for fun. We plan on throwing a bunch of random comedy curveballs as well.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Cradle is up in the garage, 3800/4t65e is almost mounted, turbo kit is almost done, and one of the axles is finished.

I hope to have the cradle almost done by Sunday. Plan is to have it in the car by the end of the month, so we are heading in the right direction.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

GRM challenge in Florida yes at the end of Sept?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Yea, motor and trans is almost ready, we just did a final mockup of EVERYTHING and blew it apart on sunday for cleaning and painting this week. Should have the turbo on the motor on the cradle by this sunday assuming woodward dream cruise does not put too much of a damper in the project.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cool. I will be there. I will look for you.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Updates?
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Due to situations out of my control, we were not able to sanely sign up for the race. Transportation and funding issues on all sides I suppose were the big issues.

I may still be able to save the project, but that is still up in the air.