1999 Passat For Sale

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

1999 Passat For Sale

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I'm selling my ride, looking for something new.

1999 Volkswagen Passat 2.8 GLX. 115,000 miles. Tiptronic Automatic 5speed.

This is a really nice car, this year used the non-drive by wire 2.8L Audi 30V V6 motor. These cars have two "common" motor problems, or so forums have told me. The throttle body (tps is built into it and goes bad) and the valve cover gaskets fail and get oil on the plugs. In my ownership I put new german made valve cover gaskets on it before the original inner rings failed (the outers were dribbling). I also put a new throttle body on it and had it adapted with VAG-COM so it runs correctly. I replaced the PCV tubes as well.

Leather is nice, drivers seat has a small hole in it, see the picture. AC works. The car has a sunroof, power drivers seat, 6 disc cd changer, heated seats, etc. It is loaded.

$4,800.

Not looking for trades.
Emc209i

Re: 1999 Passat For Sale

Post by Emc209i »

Good looking car. I'm not looking for a replacement right now though.
CincinnatiFiero

Pending
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

These are really nice driving cars. I just did the front seals and a timing belt in a customers and drove it a litte to ensure everything was good, WOW what a nice car these are, deff miles above a Jetta. I would surely roll in one of these, a well balanced car.
CincinnatiFiero

SOLD!

Thanks for the comments Jelly, I really liked it, I'm just looking for an upgrade, and another Benz.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Saw that engine at the yard the other day. I spent an hour pulling it apart. Interesting engineering.

Congrats on your sale!
CincinnatiFiero

I figure you noticed this, but did you see the motor has a timing belt, and then has timing chains on opposite ends of the motor to synchronize the cams? Kind of wacky.

Going to look at a new car this afternoon.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I figure you noticed this, but did you see the motor has a timing belt, and then has timing chains on opposite ends of the motor to synchronize the cams? Kind of wacky.

Going to look at a new car this afternoon.

Yes, to do the timing belt you have to remove the front clip of the car, sounds like alot of work but not bad at all. once the front header panel and rad / condensor swung out of the way, everything is right there in front of you.

Timing belt runs the exhaust cam sprocket on each bank ( outer cams). The intake camshafts are run off of the exhaust cams via timing chains. Timing chain on drivers bank is on the front of the engine, the chain on the passanger bank is at the back of the engine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

jelly2m81 wrote:Timing chain on drivers bank is on the front of the engine, the chain on the passanger bank is at the back of the engine.
Same head casting R&L then?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
jelly2m81 wrote:Timing chain on drivers bank is on the front of the engine, the chain on the passanger bank is at the back of the engine.
Same head casting R&L then?

Looks to be that either complete head can go on either bank, complete being with timing chain, tensior and cam sensor ( minus cams).
CincinnatiFiero

Pretty neat motor, I enjoyed it while I had it. Pretty quick too. Valve cover gaskets were a cinch, the throttle body was kind of a pain because it faces the firewall.

If it was a 4motion manual trans I'd still own it. Which sounds stupid because I'm replacing it with another 2wd auto car lol.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: Which sounds stupid because I'm replacing it with another 2wd auto car lol.
And what would that be?
CincinnatiFiero

I was speaking generally, I haven't bought anything yet, but everything I am looking at is RWD and auto.

I'm leaving town for a few days, when I get back I'm going to speak to a guy for a second time about a W140 Mercedes S-Class. He didn't like my initial offer but I'm secretly ready to pay what hes asking because I want the car. I'll be listing the Cabrio I bought for my girlfriend soon and if I can get that sold I'm probably in the market for an SL500 we both like verts but the cabrio I can't drive. I'm kind of all over the board, I was looking at Triumph TR6s, I looked at an A4, another E420, I dunno what I want. The goal is buy whatever I can sell for more than I paid for it, which yes is really idealistic, but its worked so far and as I have other cars, I can afford to wait for the right deal.

This color combo, these wheels, no pinstripe
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... s_W140.jpg
CincinnatiFiero

I bought this,

1993 300D 2.5 Turbo TealGreen over CreamBeige. Has 1994+ E320 wheels on it. Its getting a facelift 94+ Front end put on it.