attempt at 9's failed

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

darkhorizon

attempt at 9's failed

Post by darkhorizon »

I got my antilag working, commanding -14 degrees of timing at the line gave me the ability to cut a handful of 1.6 60fts last night. Car was running amazing around 12:! afr, but by the time I got into 3rd gear I lost confidence in the poor fiero.. The bias ply slicks on the rear were swaying severely at 100mph (spun when I had the slicks at 20+psi like I have had for awhile), and I didnt have the balls to stay in it. I have radials on the front, will bias ply front tires fix most all of my sway issues?

my 330ft was .6 seconds faster than my 10.50 run, and I was running 2psi more boost in colder air (almost a 10% flow increase from before).
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
Jinxmutt

Re: attempt at 9's failed

Post by Jinxmutt »

Time for some skinny front runners... Or just go back to a good drag radial.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Jinxmutt wrote:Time for some skinny front runners... Or just go back to a good drag radial.
I posted on poopy's about bias ply's... I hope they can find some rims/tires for me without breaking the bank.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

shocks, struts, springs & bars?
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:shocks, struts, springs & bars?
Factory everything, bushings are sorta scary on both sides.... Need to torch off the non adjustable control arms on each side some how, or at least sawzall them.

By bars, I assume you do not mean wheeliebars? It handles very nice until it gets to a good MPH. The sway in turn starts a chain reaction that basically directs my front wheels into the wall/other lane.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What year is it?
Factory original struts? You kinda need to replace those...
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

old poly long arm bushings, factory 100k mile solid control arm bushings, 20k mile adjustable control arm bushings.

Factory struts seem work pretty good, I never wheel hop and it does not bounce around at all... $400 koni's do not interest me that much, and the factory spring's spring rate is pretty good for my setup.

I would agree that a better strut would give me some more stability due to the lack of a rear sway bar. I am 99.9% sure all of the strange feeling I had was just due to the low pressure bias ply tires out back.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

darkhorizon wrote:88...
Factory struts seem work pretty good, I never wheel hop and it does not bounce around at all... $400 koni's do not interest me that much, and the factory spring's spring rate is pretty good for my setup.
Nope. Can't possibly spend money on good parts for a 9 second car.

What happens when a car sways is that compliance *somewhere* in the body, suspension or tires is underdamped. Since you've cut up your body, are running factory (original?!?) struts and have bias ply tires, do you have any idea where to start looking for the problem?

Was the car stable when you had the tire pressure higher? Did the problem only surface when you lowered the pressure to hook?
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

are you running tubes in your slicks? If not, they can help a little with stability. Keep your rear pressures as even as possible. They make a special tire gauge for slicks, but thats not really a necessity.

make sure your fronts are even as well. anything you can do to minimize steering input goes a long way

Being a short-wheelbase car, you'll still probably pucker your asshole from time to time though.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Was the car stable when you had the tire pressure higher? Did the problem only surface when you lowered the pressure to hook?
Rock steady when I had 20psi in the tires running full boost. Decent when I ran a 11.1 on 14psi earlier that day on 15psi of tire pressure.

Not running tubes yet... Probably will if I have problems with these on 12psi.
Matt Hawkins

Post by Matt Hawkins »

Perhaps add a little toe in on the rear and make sure the fronts are zero toe. That should help higher speed wandering.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Matt Hawkins wrote:Perhaps add a little toe in on the rear and make sure the fronts are zero toe. That should help higher speed wandering.
I had .4 negative toe on each side when I did the alignment... should it have been positive?

I cant remember but I think I zero'd the front.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

try different tires.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

darkhorizon wrote:
Matt Hawkins wrote:Perhaps add a little toe in on the rear and make sure the fronts are zero toe. That should help higher speed wandering.
I had .4 negative toe on each side when I did the alignment... should it have been positive?

I cant remember but I think I zero'd the front.

It should be *IN*.
MstangsBware

Post by MstangsBware »

The motor/trans is only part of the equation to running good numbers......Suspension goes a long ways once you get so fast...Time to start spending a little money in that area before you have an accident.....
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

I have no fears of spending money, i just really did not want to spend money in places i did not need it. I still feel that my stock springs/shocks are up to the task, but I would like to increase my street traction by getting the shocks adjusted a bit better, and a longer, possibly progressive rate, spring installed. These things will just increase traction in unique situations, it will not significantly effect stability.

The front runner deal is my next focus, but I am still a bit concerned that it may not solve the problem as well as a 10.5 inch radial would.
MstangsBware

Post by MstangsBware »

darkhorizon wrote:I have no fears of spending money, i just really did not want to spend money in places i did not need it. I still feel that my stock springs/shocks are up to the task, but I would like to increase my street traction by getting the shocks adjusted a bit better, and a longer, possibly progressive rate, spring installed. These things will just increase traction in unique situations, it will not significantly effect stability.

The front runner deal is my next focus, but I am still a bit concerned that it may not solve the problem as well as a 10.5 inch radial would.
Not needed? Your stock springs/shocks gave up the ghost a long time ago. The shocks at this point are not even acting as a shock and the srping rate of the springs has decreased. Spend about $250 to make you some coilovers so you can play with spring rate and replace your wore out link bushings. You will be suprised at what a wore bushing or a nut backed off a half a turn will do to the rear of an 88.....
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

MstangsBware wrote:
darkhorizon wrote:I have no fears of spending money, i just really did not want to spend money in places i did not need it. I still feel that my stock springs/shocks are up to the task, but I would like to increase my street traction by getting the shocks adjusted a bit better, and a longer, possibly progressive rate, spring installed. These things will just increase traction in unique situations, it will not significantly effect stability.

Not needed? Your stock springs/shocks gave up the ghost a long time ago. The shocks at this point are not even acting as a shock and the srping rate of the springs has decreased. Spend about $250 to make you some coilovers so you can play with spring rate and replace your wore out link bushings. You will be suprised at what a wore bushing or a nut backed off a half a turn will do to the rear of an 88.....
I have been there and done the loose rear end thing.. it is pretty lame.

The struts still produce a good solid shock absorb..