New engine

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

befarrer

New engine

Post by befarrer »

Chrysler has a new engine family they are releasing, I know it is not a GM, but they look pretty good, some of the highlights are a planned single turbo version and a twin turbo (400+HP) version, oil to water cooler, 40lbs lighter than GM v6's, indipendent cam timing, no brackets to bolt the accessories on with (they go right on the block. I do find it looks wierd with the exhaust manifolds cast into the head though, probably smart looking at longevity though, no gaskets or welds to break. Must be a good design and Daimler are planning on using it in some of the Mercedes vehicles. It says it will be hooked up to Fiats dual-clutch automatic (paddle shifting :-D ) The base engine makes 305HP, 3.6L with no direct fuel injection either.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html

If GM could make an engine with twin turbocharging, that would be sweet.
Emc209i

Re: New engine

Post by Emc209i »

I hope they get it right this time. I've always been a Chrysler fan boy, but every engine they've used that wasn't a Mitsubishi shoe in has been a vivid nightmare; 2.7L, 3.5L, 3.3L.
Atilla the Fun

Re: New engine

Post by Atilla the Fun »

There's no worse nightmare for a machinist than trying to re-surface a head that has ANY integral manifolding. Trying to do the VJ depends on method and machine. R&R springs is generally problematic, also. It's just bad design. Plus it makes tuned-length headers virtually impossible.