New Caro. I got a Bimmer.

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: New Caro. I got a Bimmer.

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: E34.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, I'd rather put a stickshift V12 into an E24 6 series.
I like my E34, but it isn't what I'd be looking for if I wanted to drop 20-30k on a BMW. It's like dropping a lot into a Fiero to try and beat a Corvette. It will never do what the Corvette does.

However, a 5.0l V12 in a E34 with a 6-speed would be sweet, although very nearly impossible.

An E39 starts in a better package than the E34, in both luxury and performance, and has a potent 400hp 5.0l V8 to begin with. My problem with the BMW though, is you're pretty much maxxed out with whatever you buy. The 5.0l can be modded, but without F/I will top out around 500hp or so, and need 8,000rpm. F/I is an option, but plagued with drivability issues unless you can find a shop that can tune, and tune the fuck out of, a stock computer.

Plus, I don't want my BMW to be a project car, that's what my Fiero is for. I want to buy it, throw some bolt ons, and drive it. After I've payed off my Jeep, I'm looking at either a E39 M5, or a E92 M3 (The new one). I just with I could get 550-600hp with a motor that runs like the stock one. LS1 swap is an option, but it will never have all of the features that the car does stock.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The only expensive part of that combo is the 6 speed.

An M70 can be had for under $1K, an M73 for under $1500. A Getrag 265 (5 speed) runs about $500. Project E24's (clean body, doesn't run) are available for under $2K. The only remotely hard part of the combo is making the bellhousing to put the 265 with the V12. The whole project should fit inside $10K.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

And you're left with just that, a project. I don't want a project BMW, I want a daily driver capable, high power BMW that retains everything a BMW is famous for. I've got a project car, this would be a driving car.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Chuckle... Car guys can't work construction. To a car guy the whole point of the project is doing the wrenching. To a construction guy the whole point of the project is *COMPLETING IT*.

Having worked construction management for the last 7 months, I think there's something to be said for this approach, despite having been a car guy for 15 years at this point.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Gas mileage makes sense.

When I had my M3 , I got a spare E36 M3 tranny for $600 , which seemed to be the going rate.

Be a man an Old school V-12 it with webbers...
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Chuckle... Car guys can't work construction. To a car guy the whole point of the project is doing the wrenching. To a construction guy the whole point of the project is *COMPLETING IT*.

Having worked construction management for the last 7 months, I think there's something to be said for this approach, despite having been a car guy for 15 years at this point.
I'm definitely a car guy in this sense, but I've found the more wrenching I do, the more I lose the BMW-ness of an engine.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Aaron wrote: For the BMW guys out here, this website is really cheap! http://www.autohausaz.com/ My entire engine gasket set (Minus front/rear mains seals and

Just wanted to say thanks for this link. Between my 300D and my Jetta and my buddies E300D and 300D we've blown like a grand with them in the past month haha. I guess thats how they get you, the stuff is all good brands at too cheap prices so you end up buying like $250 worth of parts more than you need lol. I've got basically every gasket for my 300D sitting in a box right now haha.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Chuckle... Car guys can't work construction. To a car guy the whole point of the project is doing the wrenching. To a construction guy the whole point of the project is *COMPLETING IT*.

I'm definitely a car guy in this sense, but I've found the more wrenching I do, the more I lose the BMW-ness of an engine.

What wrenching have you ever done on a BMW engine?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

None really. Helped put a custom turbo kit on an E46 M3, did a head/cam swap on a Z3 3.2, and have worked on my 525 a lot. The thing I've noticed, a set of cams affect a BMW motor as much as it does a LS1. And I don't like that.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

This is Aaron's thread. Let me get my pic out of here so he can have the glory. :wink:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

M-parallel was one of the best wheels BMW ever made. They look good on everything.