Transmission Swap.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

i found out how the plastic ends are held onto the shift cables.
Last edited by Jinxmutt on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I shifted it! I completed the bracket for the cables today. What an exciting feeling running thru the gears.
Last edited by Jinxmutt on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Great work John!
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

looks good man.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Very nice.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

I rode in it today, Ill let him reveal his thoughts of the tranny.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I actually beat on the trans. I originally planned on waiting more than, say, 2 hours before doing that but it was too tempting. The trans is really solid feeling. The throws are very short and quick. When it pops into gear, it almost feels like the isuzu would when it was 'halfway' into the gate. Going from 1-2 or 3-4 it feels like i'm going from gear to neutral when really its going the full gear to gear. Also, my R is a little tricky. Some times I move it into R and it doesn't really feel like it goes in. I have to sort of lift off the clutch to make sure its actually there. The isuzu used to clunk when it went into R, this one just sort of slides right in. I'm sure i'll get used to it but its something different for now.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

VEry cool man.

If you get time I would look into selling the brackets or the idea of the brackets to someone to produce them like Rodney or something. Could be a cheap and easy upgrade to the crappy stock isuzus
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

The computer has a value for Road Speed Constant and one for Instrument Panel VSS Pulse divisor. Currently, they are set as follows:

Road Speed Constant: 4000 Pulse/Mile
Instrument Panel VSS Pulse Divisor: 1.00
Last edited by Jinxmutt on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

is it double? I bet it is, 8000 ppm instead of 4000 ppm
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Jinxmutt wrote: Instrument Panel VSS Pulse Divisor: 1.00
The Fiero is wired so that the VSS signal goes the instrument panel and is divided before going back to the ECM. If you change that (repin C203) such that the instrument panel takes its input from the ECM, then you can change the above variable to either 0.5 or 2.0 and fix your problem.

The problem can be solved via tuning & wiring; changing out hardware is unecessary.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Jinxmutt wrote: Instrument Panel VSS Pulse Divisor: 1.00
The problem can be solved via tuning & wiring
I changed to that from 4000 and the mph is right on.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Transmission Swap.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

So for those of us who want to do this swap, no longer having the deleted info is kind of annoying...

For example, was the application 98-00 Crapalier or 00-02?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Agreed. That's not stopping me though.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Its okay, Emc209i is the resident expert on this subject...
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

You deleted all of your pictures and info long before I reintroduced it only a week ago on Pen-nocks. What you did was annoying, slightly egotistical, and it had nothing to do with me.

You dropped the ball a very long time ago John. Don't be angry with me for picking it up - remember, you dropped it. You have an air about you in giving out information. You seem to think you're entitled to something for being the first person to swap this transmission. You were not the first in the world to put one behind a 3800, you were simply the first to implement it into the Fiero. If you hadn't had stumbled upon this at the Jbody forums or wherever you did, someone else would have.

If you want to hide behind my attempts of documentation, that's fine. We all know it benefits you nothing to share in the information pool. But at this point, you're not profiting from the information, it's just floating which is why I shared it. I respect you too much to cut into something you're making profit on, but you've done nothing with the information at your disposal - if anything you've shrouded it. Being you've now switched to the 80 series, I don't think there's any need for secrecy. In the same manor, it doesn't benefit me either by sharing the information (or does it..). However, I look at how much culminated information I've learned over the years, and understand I'd be much farther behind if everyone kept their discoveries for themselves. Sharing pushes the community forward, and in turn competition pushes each of us as an individual forward. We move forward as a group. At one point in time Matt Hawkins was a power standard, those days are over, and we now have others setting the records. I don't have enough fingers on my hands to count the many times you called me into your room, when we were suite mates in college, to show me something you'd collected from some other part of the web. You have a lot to give back too... being selfish isn't going to do anything but very shortly prolong the amount of time you're ahead of the pack.
Jinxmutt wrote:Its okay, Emc209i is the resident expert on this subject...
What do you want, a gold star with your name and F23 on it?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I'm not looking for any credit with anything. I'm not trying to make money of parts, or build swap kits, etc. I have no problem with people discussing the trans, or swapping the trans or whatever. I don't care that you are now pushing it since it has become the hot topic of the boards. What I don't like seeing is information tossed around about 'MY' personal car. Say all the stuff about the trans or how to install it, or whats required, what works, whatever. I just don't like when stuff about my car specifically gets brought up. Idc that it is mentioned that I had this or that at one time, but details about my stuff specifically are things that I like to share at my discretion. If people want to know certain details, they can simply ask me. I frequent the boards quite regularly and I'm not tough to get a hold of. The problem is that there are things that are known, and things that are unknown. Telling people that I used an isuzu cable, or a getrag clutch is true. What you don't tell them is that I modified the shift arm extensivly, how I did, or what "Pressure Plate" I used along with that clutch. If you've followed my threads closely enough on the subject, you will realize that I had to experiment with pressure plates to find one that didn't' contact the bellhousing. That is important information that if someone just thought "Oh stock clutch", and threw their existing clutch/PP combo together, they could end up wearing through the diff hump inside the bellhousing.

All in all, I think its great for the community that this is finally coming to light. Any one in the world could get this trans and bolt it together, I wasn't stopping them from figuring it out on their own. If anyone sees I've done it, I have no prob helping them as I have a few times with this trans. I would just like to leave the details about MY personal setup to be told by me so that they stay accurate. Its also my own research to share at my own will. Sure you know about it, just like I know about your braided lines or anything else. I'm not gonna give out specifics about your stuff though. Fuel lines in general, or what "I'VE" done, sure, but those other specifics are 'your' thing...
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Fair enough.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Wow, I think we are going to see a lot of fail from Old Europe members in the next few months to a year trying to use these transmissions. There are people over there now like mera 7 telling people to buy the f23 as its a "simple" drop in, when he himself hasn't done it yet. There are what 2-3 people with this trans swap done, yet there already appear to be dozens of experts on it over there.

I predict there are going to be a ton of threads shortly asking how to get it done, how they can't figure it out, how something has broke already, or people giving up on it.

Oh and I am with jinx on not having otehrs talk about whats done to my car. I tell my freinds whats done to my car hoping they will keep their mouths shut. If I know they can't or won't, I lie to those people on purpose. I don't want everyone knowing whats done to my car or how I did it. Selfish? Maybe but i did it all myself.

Now if someone asks me about my setup who I don't know, I might help, and I might not, but thats my decision to make. its not someone elses decision to make for me
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
BoostGT

Post by BoostGT »

Jinx didn't have any issues when I asked him about it, didnt hide anything about it, maybe he could tell I wasn't a dreaming moron who knows, In the end I did almost everything about my f23 swap differently then he did my shift shaft is stock I only modified the side the ball socket was on for the up down motion, I used 2 getrag select cables, my clutch set up is different.

I could have done it without his insight but his opinions were interesting and his power out put and results were pretty motivating, although I had experience with the transmissions behind boosted Jbodies for years before hand so I wasnt worried about the trans breaking anyway.

As for Old Europe, they mostly are dreaming morons and good enough reason to not bother sharing the info with them because clearly most of them dont even understand it.

Will you want the 2000-2002 2200 version, its probably easier to search 2000-2001 though to avoid the junkyards that mix up the 2.2 ecotec and 2.2 pushrod in the 2002 models, 2002 was kind a weird year for the Jbodies you could get the 2200, the LD9 2.4 twin cam, or the Ecotec in the later half. In the end Im sure you can easily spot the 2200 bellhousing compaired to the Ecotec anyways they are not even close to the same.