Working towards larger rear 88 hubs....

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Working towards larger rear 88 hubs....

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Thanks!

That's the standard size Fiero CV, right?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Correct. As far as I know, they were actual GM shafts. Other than the crap chinese one I broke that one time in the middle.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

I guess Fog did the upgrade to the larger 33 spline in an 84-87 rear about 1 year ago.
Originally posted by Fog:

Suspension is also converted to large 33-spline bearings, etc...

Minivan suspension:
Originally posted by Fog:

Eldorado/Toronado witch the trans came from used 33-spline wheel bearings and a pair of fat(1+") CV axles. I did not want to change the CV-axles to inferior Fiero ones. Rather I looked at ways to use the fat axles...
1993-1995 Pontiac trans sport/Chevrolet lumina APV/Oldsmobile shilouette with 3800 engines used wheel bearings that had the same 33-spline receiver. Now, Using only the bearings inside a Fiero spindle would require milling, but instead, I used the whole spindle.
That had another problem. The Fiero ball joint was too small, so I measured the whole lower control arms, and they Fitted.

So all I wanted was 33 spline wheel bearings, but to have that without milling, I changed out lower control arm, outer tie rod end and spindle.

Bonus is, that I gained big vented rotors with 52mm calipers for brakes also. Also, minivan bolt circle is 5x115 witch is close enough to use Ford wheels(5x4.5" = 5x114.7).
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Link?