Went to the track last week...new PB

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Sinister Fiero

Went to the track last week...new PB

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Went to the track last wed and quickly learned never to underestimate the importance of a properly groomed track.

The track is Muncie Dragway in Muncie, Indiana and they have a horrible rep of not taking care of the track. Daytime temp was 80 deg F but as soon as the sun went down the temp dropped to 65. Of course all this did was reveal the fact that I am now out of injector (still using stock 36 lb) and I need a 3-bar MAP for my boost controller. 15psi, no knock, but the fuel was going a little lean @ 880mv O2 (like to see 930-940mv). IPW's were nearing 25ms and thats 4ms more than I like to see on these engines. It definately felt better especially since I put in 5 gal of 110 octane. The only mod I did to my car since last year's best of 12.38 @ 110 was an aftermarket downpipe elbow (replaced ported stock unit with Terry Houston 3").

Results:

60' - 1.795 sec
330' - 5.165 sec
1/8 - 7.945 sec
MPH - 88.50 mph
1000 - 10.340 sec
1/4 - 12.361 sec
MPH - 111.56 mph

It would have sported a better ET if I didn't spin after I left the launch pad. Oh well, time for some 42.5 inj's and a 3-bar map so I can crank the boost to 18psi. Going to check out the dragstrip at US 131 in Michigan... I hear it hooks pretty good.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice time! Get the bugs worked out and up the boost, break into the 11s, that would be cool.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Nice runs.

Any idea on intake temps?

If running 18 psi I would try to run straight 110 octane esp with that small turbo on it. its going to get pretty hot.

You picked up a bit of mph so either you are making a bit more hp with your new downpipe or the track conditions were working good for you. OR hell it could be both.

I would check your plugs and see what they look like. It will let you know whats going on in that cylinder if you are getting any detonation or not.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbleft:
Fast88Fiero

Re: Went to the track last week...new PB

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Sinister Fiero wrote:Went to the track last wed and quickly learned never to underestimate the importance of a properly groomed track.

The track is Muncie Dragway in Muncie, Indiana and they have a horrible rep of not taking care of the track. Daytime temp was 80 deg F but as soon as the sun went down the temp dropped to 65. Of course all this did was reveal the fact that I am now out of injector (still using stock 36 lb) and I need a 3-bar MAP for my boost controller. 15psi, no knock, but the fuel was going a little lean @ 880mv O2 (like to see 930-940mv). IPW's were nearing 25ms and thats 4ms more than I like to see on these engines. It definately felt better especially since I put in 5 gal of 110 octane. The only mod I did to my car since last year's best of 12.38 @ 110 was an aftermarket downpipe elbow (replaced ported stock unit with Terry Houston 3").

Results:

60' - 1.795 sec
330' - 5.165 sec
1/8 - 7.945 sec
MPH - 88.50 mph
1000 - 10.340 sec
1/4 - 12.361 sec
MPH - 111.56 mph

It would have sported a better ET if I didn't spin after I left the launch pad. Oh well, time for some 42.5 inj's and a 3-bar map so I can crank the boost to 18psi. Going to check out the dragstrip at US 131 in Michigan... I hear it hooks pretty good.
I've been to the US 131 track several times because I live about 15-20 min away. The last time I was there was back with my built 3.1L V6 and Nitrous. Launched with a 80 shot, pulled a 1.80 60' with no spin and broke my engine cradle. The traction there is amazing. I havent been this year yet, so I dont know if it's still that good or not.
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Nice runs.

Any idea on intake temps?

If running 18 psi I would try to run straight 110 octane esp with that small turbo on it. its going to get pretty hot.

You picked up a bit of mph so either you are making a bit more hp with your new downpipe or the track conditions were working good for you. OR hell it could be both.

I would check your plugs and see what they look like. It will let you know whats going on in that cylinder if you are getting any detonation or not.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbleft:
No idea on intake temps but it has been something I have been meaning to do -- hook up a temp sender just after the IC.

These stock 87 GN turbos are good to about 22psi on an old school 87 3.8 using the stock IC. Since the 3800 has superior flowing heads, I calculate I should be able to get to 18psi before I exceed the capabilities of that turbo on the 3800. My plugs look just fine and running 5gal of 110 and 3 gal of 93 I was getting absolutely no KR. The knock sensor hooked to my PCM is very sensitive and I have a Caspers Knock Warning Gauge on my dash which is wired to a seperate knock sensor.

Oh and trust me that aftermarket downpipe flows much better than the stocker. The stocker is actually a cast iron piece/housing that just bolts to the exhaust turbine housing on the turbo. It consists of a wide open "box" where the exhaust gases exiting the turbine wheel crash into a wall that is parallel to the turbine opening. The gases have to make an immediate 90 deg turn so they can exit out of a 2.5" opening into the factory 2.25" DP. The aftermarket THDP is a fabricated 1/2" thick steel flange with a 3" mandrel bent elbow welded to it. GN guys replacing their stock DP with this exact unit report avg gains of 2 - 4 tenths and 2 - 4mph in the 1/4.