AR Build

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Indy

Re: AR Build

Post by Indy »

Aaron wrote:
Indy wrote:
Emc209i wrote: Cliffnote is that if you're going to become a ninja assasin murderer, you have to pay a tax.
Tha man always be holding a ninja back.
Ninja please.

Anyway, got a new stock on it. The store was having a sale on Magpul stuff so I managed to get a UBR for way under retail. Cue crappy cell pic...

So close now...
Indy

Post by Indy »

Since last time:
Magpul UBR, same as above
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
BAD-ASS ambidextrous selector (really nice piece)
Magpul AFG2 forward grip
Magpul MBUS back up sights

The money is set aside for the barrel and tax now. Making sure I'm G2G on my legal before it goes in.

Nate
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

ur missing a piece
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I guess since all the cool kids are doing it. I've been working on this for the past few months, and finally got it together.

Spike's Tactical "Biohazard" matched billet aluminum upper and lower receivers. JP Fire control, low mass bolt carrier, stainless bolt, custom operating spring, adjustable gas system, 14.5" stainless 1:8 barrel with a pinned/welded comp and heat sink, Yankee Hill free floating handguard, Yankee Hill flip up iron sights, EOTech 512, VLTOR collapsible stock, Troy padded single point sling, and PMAGs. I've since changed to a Hogue grip, and will be adding a Vertical Front Grip and a light soon.

So far it's got about 800 rounds through it, without a misfire of course. Runs really well as one would expect, though I don't really have anything to compare it to.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

Hey Aaaron, all the cool kids run aimpoints! 8)

Just kidding. Couldn't help myself. Nice looking rifle!
Last edited by allWorkNoPlay on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:Runs really well as one would expect,
Lol... after all it's just a reciprocating engine operated by gunpowder instead of gasoline!
Aaron wrote:Troy padded single point sling,
Look up "Wolf Hook"

I've cleaned enough M16's that I'm no longer wowed by AR's... Although all the aftermarket stuff is pretty gucci. I may get one chambered for .30 instead of 5.56.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

allWorkNoPlay wrote:Hey Aaaron, all the cool kids run aimpoints! 8)

Just kidding. Couldn't help myself. Nice looking rifle!
Haha! The Aimpoints are sweet, it was a toss up for me, as either one works. Reticle is all personal preference, but either one worked for me.

Aimpoint - Battery life to the extreme, can't be killed
EOTECH - Much larger field of view, cheaper, better reticle in direct sunlight

I chose the EOTech because for what I need, its better. But I love the Aimpoint's too!
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Aaron wrote:Runs really well as one would expect,
Lol... after all it's just a reciprocating engine operated by gunpowder instead of gasoline!
Aaron wrote:Troy padded single point sling,
Look up "Wolf Hook"

I've cleaned enough M16's that I'm no longer wowed by AR's... Although all the aftermarket stuff is pretty gucci. I may get one chambered for .30 instead of 5.56.
I guess I meant well for an AR haha. The only other two I've shot recoiled a lot worse, they kicked to the right far more.

I looked up the Wolf Hook, but I'm not sure I understand what it does, or why it's better than any single point sling. I didn't quite understand it from what I saw.

I can see how they get old, it's kind of getting old seeing the "same old same old" in every ar15.com thread. That's why I kinda tried to go above and beyond, just like Indy has here. Have you seen the 0% CNC builds that guys do? That is fucking sweet to me!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

Aaron wrote: I looked up the Wolf Hook, but I'm not sure I understand what it does, or why it's better than any single point sling. I didn't quite understand it from what I saw.

I can see how they get old, it's kind of getting old seeing the "same old same old" in every ar15.com thread. That's why I kinda tried to go above and beyond, just like Indy has here. Have you seen the 0% CNC builds that guys do? That is fucking sweet to me!
If the magwell wasn't such a PITA I'd definitely be rolling my own .308 lower. Maybe I'll just rough it out and spend some quality time getting to know a file :Yahoo!:

Is that a Bennie Cooley comp on your rifle? How's the shooting with that? Louder? Recoil? That's a pretty sweet setup, the Spike's matching sets are badass.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:I looked up the Wolf Hook, but I'm not sure I understand what it does, or why it's better than any single point sling. I didn't quite understand it from what I saw.
A Wolf Hook gets looped into the MOLLE on your tactical vest and when adjusted properly, keeps the buttstock of your weapon right underneath the pocket. It lets you use both hands for other things while keeping your weapon instantly available.

http://www.militarygearsupplies.com/sto ... sling.html
(This goon is *NOT* wearing it correctly; the weapon should hang higher, almost right in the pocket)

A *really* nifty setup I saw some of the security contractors use was to have a length of parachute cord run just a little bit loose from one shoulder across the chest to the other shoulder. A simple small carabiner on the buttstock hooked to this cord. It's similar to the wolf hook in function, but you can instantly switch from right handed shooting to left handed shooting. If you're sitting on the right side of an armored vehicle, you need to be left handed when you come out.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The forms for the SBR and suppressor are sent! I've got a friend who doesn't have an AR storing the short barrel for me, so once I get the forms back I can just put everything together and start building the suppressor. Now the long, agonizing wait begins. T-minus 3 months and counting. :-o
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I since added a Vertical Front Grip and a Streamlight TLR1 C4 light to mine. It's pretty much finished to what I need. Now I just need to sight it in more accurately. It's good enough now, but I bet I'm about an inch off at 50yds.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

Checks cleared for the tax stamps. Only months to go now.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Indy

Post by Indy »

Stamp came back.

:-D :-D :-D :-D
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Beautiful! Looks almost like a light god damn machine gun.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Not my cup of tea personally.

I like the stock, but I think your forearm is too long, and I hate AFGs.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

It's only a 9" rail. I actually wish I had a little more length. There's not much real estate available to get a good grip with the front sight contending for space and still have your hand far enough back to actuate the tail cap on the flashlight. I rigged up a pressure switch today to help with that (not in the pics).
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That is a sexy AR.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Yes, it is. This thread tempts me to build one, but I hate the 5.56x45 round. Kind of a 7.62x51 battle rifle fan boy. I'm just weird. Otherwise, sign me up.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Emc209i wrote:Yes, it is. This thread tempts me to build one, but I hate the 5.56x45 round. Kind of a 7.62x51 battle rifle fan boy. I'm just weird. Otherwise, sign me up.
.308 AR SBR...It wants you to own it. :twisted:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Emc209i wrote:Yes, it is. This thread tempts me to build one, but I hate the 5.56x45 round. Kind of a 7.62x51 battle rifle fan boy. I'm just weird. Otherwise, sign me up.
The .223/5.56 is one of the greatest rounds created. Balistics sacrifice, but you can't beat the recoil and target re-acquisition of the .223. Tht's why it's so popular. It's loud, but there is no recoil. And I know it's easy to say low recoil guns are for pussies, but the facts speak for themselves, and I will guarantee you will shoot tighter, faster groups with a 9mm Glock than a 10mm Glock. It's amazing how in theory the larger round shouldn't affect accuracy and speed, but it does. And with today's technology, the .223 can be an extremely effective anti-personel round up to 500 yards, which for what need is perfect. The Hornady TAP ammo we run (I use 75gr in the 5.56 variety), will not over-penetrate since it fragments on contact. Although it's small, once it fragments it is very effective. I got the chance to see autopsy photos of a single .223 to the chest with 55gr TAP, and once inside, the cone of damage was amazing. You could barely see the bullet hole in the skin, by the time the pieces got to the subjects back, the diamater of trauma was almost 8"!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo