Gizmag report on fuel economy.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Emc209i

Gizmag report on fuel economy.

Post by Emc209i »

Not impressed:

http://www.gizmag.com/us-vehicle-fuel-e ... ars/12410/

I am not at all someone who advocates doing away with the petrol engine or performance engines all together - I hope to be able to drive a screaming exotic on joy rides in my later years (think V12, less than 20mpg). But what is there for selection in our country when someone needs a practical daily which has a leather back seat, none. It's nearly impossible to find a luxury sedan that will average above a combined 25mpg. This seems grossly wasteful to me, especially when millions of people are commuting 50 miles a day in them. But I suppose it isn't profitable in this theatre to market to nutjobs like me. 'Merica!

We're burning through oil like its our job.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Gizmag report on fuel economy.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The last time I read anything from Gizmag was several years ago and it was about as credible as Maxim.
Good to see some things don't change.

A few years ago, VW showed a concept car that was a 1500# mid-engine roadster with 130 HP 1.5 litre diesel engine. That would be the only new car I'd consider buying... of course even if they did produce it, it would never come to the US.

I'm not sure if the American auto market really is that screwed up, or if the perceptions of auto industry executives of the American market are skewed... or if those of us who post here are just that strange.

As long as it had heater, A/C and cruise control, I'd love a 1500# commuter. Of course I'd kill its fuel economy by putting 315 tires on it...

For longer trips, I agree that heated leather seats are the way to go. I've pretty much made up my mind that when The Mule's new exhaust is done and the car is street legal, I'll pick up a Merc diesel.