Bugatti Veyraon Qtr Mile

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Shaun41178(2)

Bugatti Veyraon Qtr Mile

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ZHRpLzbBg&hd=1

This was at PBIR in West Palm area.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Re: Bugatti Veyraon Qtr Mile

Post by Emc209i »

Very cool owner. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed that.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sweet vid... I saw it on the Top Gear Facebook page.

It's pretty wild just how brutal that car is.

Now one of them just has to line up against a UGR Gallardo or R8 V10...
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Not quite as good as the Lingenfelter / Callaway Sledgehammer, the first 2-seat road car to go 254 MPH.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The veyron is hands down better than the sledgehammer. Sure they might have the same top speed, but the veyron is a way better car.

http://www.fastcoolcars.com/callaway_sledgehammer.htm

Corvette trapped 127 according to that link vs the 139 this bugatti got on its second time ever down the track
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Callaway was a one-off hot rod, not a production car.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Missing the point, buddy.
The Sledgehammer wasn't the first piston-engine-powered, 4-wheel thing to ever hit such a velocity, but it was the first that wasn't purpose-built. The Sledgehammer was just a modified 'vette on Gatorbacks, not tires built specifically for the Bonneville salt. As it was a Corvette, it was a road car, not a Bonneville "bellytanker"
No other production road car ever before was proven to go as fast as the Sledgehammer, which had just 880 HP, and RWD, and cost under $300,000. Now y'all make a fuss about a million-dollar, AWD, 987-HP road car?
WHY?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Next to the Sledgehammer, the Veyron is not miraculous. The Sledgehammer was, but not the Veyron. If you're gonna worship, then worship something worthy.
Can you copy the Veyron in your garage? Nope. But the Sledgehammer? Easy. And thanks to the LSx, particularly a pair of chinese turbos on a cammed LQ4, getting to 880 HP is easy.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Then buy Sledgehammer #002 and let us know how long the warranty is...
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Better crank the boost up on your Sledgehammer

http://www.topgear.com/UK/car-news/veyr ... 2010-07-06

I'd also like to see a sledgehammer take on a basic Veyron anywhere but from a 100MPH roll. I've read the sledgehammer had atrocious lag, and its an 80s corvette, so its not like it'll stop, or turn.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That was my next point... aside from the 880 HP engine, it's a C4 Corvette. Ugh.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I just don't get how people can dismiss the Veyron. It can out-accelerate, out-turn, and out-brake pretty much everything on four wheels that you can put a license plate on. Not only that, it does it while basking you in luxury. It's a technological marvel, a masterpiece even if it is a little fugly. Okay...A lot fugly. I've seen the Sledgehammer in person, and I wouldn't feel safe taking it to that kind of speed. I'll also say that the Sledgehammer is NOT as streetable as the rumor goes, it's cammed to hell. I just don't find it terribly impressive. They did what no one else bothered to do, great. Bugatti has done what most manufacturers are still incapable of doing.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Anyone remember when Lingenfelter drove an early C5 to 226 mph with 600-650 HP from a TT kit?
I don't remember if the engine was built or not.

What makes the Bugatti impressive isn't that it does any one thing. There are cars (not production cars, of course) that will equal or better the Bugatti in any single performance area... handling, braking, and acceleration. Damned few cars can do ALL of that and the Bugatti is the *ONLY* car that can to all of that with a warranty and be absolutely, 100% benign in a daily driving application.

It takes a bit of extra money sometimes, but hot rods are frequently reliable enough for daily transportation. However, the ones extreme enough to even think about challenging the Bugatti *ALL* require compromise... Ride, interior comfort, noise, fuel quality requirements or just generally not being at home on public roads.
The Bugatti never makes excuses for anything. Ever.

(Unfortunately not even for weighing two and a half tons... but it does at least have a lot of stuff in it to show for all that weight. The naked powertrain weighs as much as an entire Elise).
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

All I hate about the Veyron is the engine. I have never seen more complication and hugeness to make a paltry 1000hp. 16 cylinders in a W configuration? Is that necessary? 4 turbochargers??? Could they have done it with 12, 10 or even 8? yes they could have. An 8 Liter 8 or 12 cylinder engine with 2 turbochargers could do what the Veyrons 16 cylinder beast does at little stress.

There is also my thinking that they made it heavy on purpose to make it more stable at high speed which also makes sense. Weight doesn't have that much bearing on top speed, just how long it takes to get there and a little more rolling resistance.

I helped pull a head on one of my Brother's VW VR6 engines and the cylinder configuration is strange. 15* V-6 basically but with a single head. Kind of a compromise of an inline 6 and a V-6. made for unequal runner lengths on the intake and exhaust. The W16 is just 2 banks of these with a 4 more cylinders added on. I think a normal V configuration would be a more balanced engine and much lighter weight due to having much smaller heads.

Seems like there would be a lot of extra material on an engine with this config.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Veyron block and head

This is ridiculous. Something the size of a large marine engine shouldn't be making just 1000hp, especially with 4 turbos. It should be pushing double that to look impressive.

I would say the only marvel of engineering on that powertrain is the transmission.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

They needed 8 litres to keep the stresses low enough to achieve the same reliability as the rest of VW's lineup. The only architecture VW had that could be expanded that large was the W architecture. They were also producing W8 Passats, W12 Phaetons and Bentleys, so they already had the tooling to build the W16 engine. Are the turbos the same as the ones used on the Continental GT?

My beef with the engine is that it has 16 cylinders but still requires a balance shaft to run smoothly. WTF?
Bugatti also showed a concept called the Chiron, which was basically the same as the concept Veyron except that it had a W18 with three banks of 6 inline. I think that would have been a FAR better engine configuration, but using it would have required VW to develop an entirely new engine architecture.

I also agree that there's a LOT of room to remove weight from the car. At 4200 or 4400 lbs, it's absurdly heavy.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the 3800 engine uses a balance shaft, but a lot of people remove them. I am sure it is intended to cancel out vibrations allowing for a smoother engine and ride. I am sure the Veyron engine doesn't need a balance shaft, but for the ultimate in smooth, it has one.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ehh... There are a lot of weird things that happen to balance when you split the banks like that. The pistons still go "straight" up and down from the bores but are offset significantly from the crank centerline, which throws the balance way off because they're all slightly out of phase with each other.

Also, there's a HUGE amount of material between the bores and an enormous volume of cooling jacket volume... that engine could probably lose 100 lbs with serious design (meaning architecture) optimization. It's probably already as optimized as it can be for that architecture. But it still needs to hold a lot of coolant to deal with 1000 HP of waste heat.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Was googling for more in-process production pictures of the Veyron's engine and found some interesting pages:

Scrapped W16 engine block and parts for use in a design study:

http://jalopnik.com/5401978/how-i-found ... est-street

Brief description of the Chiron 18.3 concept car and engine:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4828333

Pretty awesome album of the Bugatti museum linked from the thread above:

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pictures/ ... index.html

1800 HP Mosler with NRE LSx in a Warhawk block... Suspect that it's at an alternative fuel engine: exclusively race gas at the very least, with a high probability of methanol, considering the claimed 10:1 compression ratio.

http://wot.motortrend.com/live-from-sem ... -2734.html

Couple of reasonably cool sets up bugatti pictures:

http://plays-sports.blogspot.com/2011_0 ... chive.html (Polished aluminum and naked carbon fiber bodywork, as well as some wackier pics)

Porcelain in lieu of paint:

http://www.carthrottle.com/frankfurt-20 ... lor-blanc/

No, those are not reflections of overhead lights on the bodywork.