My new Fiero.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: My new Fiero.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Baller engine swap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290734380962

Also, here's a nice Maserati for a good price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/230839793851
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I may get one of these when the I sell the 190SL on,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maserati ... 46070dec4b

I'm just not cool enough to run a LeBaron.

Just saw this,

fuck I shouldn't have bought the BMW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maserati ... 35bf399133
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:The difference is the exotic will depreciate fairly hard until it starts to appreciate. A replica isn't worth what it cost the day you got it, and it never appreciates.

If it were me I'd put my money into a baller engine swap and leave it at that.
Thats the problem I have with buying an exotic. The moment I take it out for a drive I start to lose money and the value tanks the more miles you put on it. Id like to sometimes drive my car to work, dates and so on. I don't wanna have to deal with the bs. A replica ill pay a small price but oh well, id probably never sell it anyways, even if I bought a real one later down the road ill find some useage out of it. :-D

I've always wanted to build a Lamborghini Replica that out performs the original. Figure a 3800 S/C Fiero based Replica with bolt on's will do just that. I just wouldn't start from ground zero, theres plenty of Countach Reps going for 10k these days. I'm talking to guy out in Carlsbad who owns a garage that has a nice 25th Annversio sitting there, He said 60k and I told him 12k and he excepted. I'm gonna wait a few more years and offer him 8k and see if takes the bait.
Sometimes you only need six cylinders to get the job done.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

VF1SkullAngel wrote: Thats the problem I have with buying an exotic.
That's the problem with sharing this forum with white trash.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

VF1SkullAngel wrote: Thats the problem I have with buying an exotic. The moment I take it out for a drive I start to lose money and the value tanks the more miles you put on it.
1. Buy a glass bodied 308
2. Put 2000 miles a year on it for ten years (do timing belt services yourself)
3. Sell it for twice what you paid for it

The exotics that are currently attainable for regular joes are at the bottoms of their depreciation curves.

If you listen carefully to descriptions of 250GT's and such that come up for auction, some of these cars had things done to them when they were relatively new that no one would even THINK about doing now, due to the current value of the car. My interpretation is that when those oddball things were done, the cars were much cheaper...

Stop thinking of exotics as if they lived by the same rules as '80's Pontiacs.

The rich buy things that go up in value.
CincinnatiFiero

We had a 300SL in the shop that started life white, was painted red, and they painted the interior panels red to match, and then in the 70s it was painted black but they left the interior trim red. The interior had seats that had mopar part numbers on the bottoms, and the wiring harness had a pep boys voltage regulator. We put factory seats in it,put a factory regulator in it, factory hose clamps, etc. The car did nearly $800,000. It is staggering what stupid shit people do to rare cars when their value is at its low point. It ended up being a beautiful car, the new owner is going to repaint it back to original colors.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
VF1SkullAngel wrote: Thats the problem I have with buying an exotic. The moment I take it out for a drive I start to lose money and the value tanks the more miles you put on it.
1. Buy a glass bodied 308
2. Put 2000 miles a year on it for ten years (do timing belt services yourself)
3. Sell it for twice what you paid for it

The exotics that are currently attainable for regular joes are at the bottoms of their depreciation curves.

If you listen carefully to descriptions of 250GT's and such that come up for auction, some of these cars had things done to them when they were relatively new that no one would even THINK about doing now, due to the current value of the car. My interpretation is that when those oddball things were done, the cars were much cheaper...

Stop thinking of exotics as if they lived by the same rules as '80's Pontiacs.

The rich buy things that go up in value.
That sounds boring and expensive. Not to mention my V6 Camaro is faster than the 308. :D

I want a Diablo or Countach I can put at least 5k on it a year. maybe even take it to the track or on a power cruise.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

VF1SkullAngel wrote: That sounds boring and expensive. Not to mention my V6 Camaro is faster than the 308. :D

I want a Diablo or Countach I can put at least 5k on it a year. maybe even take it to the track or on a power cruise.
I intend to take my 308 on One Lap...

Yeah, a stock 308 *is* slow... but still more attainable than a Countach. There are exotic car financing agencies around that can finance a 100K car for 20 years so that someone closer to an average joe can afford it.
CincinnatiFiero

I'm of the mindset that you pay cash for your toys. You don't need them anyways and If you need 20 year financing you really shouldn't have one.

I'd be hard pressed to believe a 3.4 camaro would beat a 308 by much, I'd think a QV would even still wipe the floor with most 90s GM cars.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I'm of the mindset that you pay cash for your toys. You don't need them anyways and If you need 20 year financing you really shouldn't have one.

I'd be hard pressed to believe a 3.4 camaro would beat a 308 by much, I'd think a QV would even still wipe the floor with most 90s GM cars.
Yes, Ferraris were still hot relative to the competition back in the day, but everything sucked in the late '70's and early '80's.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:I'm of the mindset that you pay cash for your toys. You don't need them anyways and If you need 20 year financing you really shouldn't have one.

Yes, Ferraris were still hot relative to the competition back in the day, but everything sucked in the late '70's and early '80's.
http://www.insideline.com/ferrari/308/1 ... na-ex.html
car.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

Well hey man if you got the money then go for it.

If I wanted to do I could go out and get a real Gallardo down the road when they start dropping far below 100k. I just don't want a Gallardo. I want either a Diablo or Countach. Even buying one means it's gonna require a full time job just to keep it on the road. I don't see the reason to spend a shit ton just to say its real. Sure the resale value won't be great. But I'm buying/building the car for my personal enjoyment. It's not like I have full intentions of resale or making a profit down the road. Cars are my hobby. Not my investments. If I want an investment. Ill go out and get some gold or silver and storage it.
CincinnatiFiero wrote:I'd be hard pressed to believe a 3.4 camaro would beat a 308 by much, I'd think a QV would even still wipe the floor with most 90s GM cars.
Those 308's aren't much to brag about considering the Fiero GT barley beats it already. I wouldn't doubt my 3.8 Camaro would mop the floor with one in the 1/4mile. I tried calling out a few of them but their owners give out the common ferrari excuse of "These cars aren't meant for drag racing"

Even the Mondial's, 348's and 328's aren't that fast. a Standard LT1 Camaro would put all of them in the hurt locker. :-D

Shit even the Buick Grand National was faster than the Ferrari Testarossa in the 1/4mile back in 1987.
CincinnatiFiero

I'm just fostering discussion I'm not trying to start a fight, but here are some numbers,

1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 0-60 mph 7.9 Quarter mile 16.0

1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula 0-60 mph 7.9 Quarter mile 15.8

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 0-60 mph 8.6 Quarter mile 16.2

That link fierowanabe post said the 1984 308GTSi did 0-60 in 7.3 and the 1/4 in 15.4.

Here are some Ferrari specs from the same website as the Fiero specs.

1982 Ferrari 308 GTS 0-60 mph 7.2 Quarter mile 15.6

1983 Ferrari 308 GTBi Quattrovalvole 0-60 mph 6.7 Quarter mile 15.0

1986 Ferrari 328 GTS 0-60 mph 5.5 Quarter mile 14.2

1988 Ferrari 328 GTS 0-60 mph 6.6 Quarter mile 14.8

Fiero's were slower, every year.

The 348 was even faster low 14s to high 13s, later versions of the Testarossa's like the 512M ran in the 12s. You'd need an LS1 with some bolt ons to get there.

I'm not saying bad things about the Fiero, remember I've got 3 sitting in my garage, but no, its not a Ferrari. Then we get into the discussion of provenance, luxury, and whole bunch of other stuff. I'm half on your side lol.

Also, Gallardo's have dropped under $100,000, so if you're in the market at that price point....

Edit, you said mondial, not testarossa, mondials were ugly turds, loved only by my father. For some reason he has always been infatuated with them.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I've driven a Mondial 3.4. I don't think it's bad looking and it's not slow. The fixed roof cars do have something of an odd profile, though. That carries over from the 308 GT4 which was an odd duck from the day it was born.

Everything in the auto industry sucked in the early '80's... even Ferraris. Over on http://www.Ferrarilife.com there are multiple threads of owners ditching their CIS for TWM/Electromotive. IIRC, there's a stroker build (360 crank in 308 block) with port work and cams that pushed close to 300 RWHP from a 2 valve engine.
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

A simple 3.4 swap would be more than enough to beat a 308. A 3800 S/C would probably be serious overkill.

Those numbers might be from a professional driver but honestly I have yet to meet with anyone that knows how to race a 308. You'll get a lot of shit talkers like the ones over on Old Europe with the V8 Fiero's that act like they can race at Lemans but then they lose to a Honda. The later TR's like the 512LM yeah your probably gonna need to boost that 3.8 Turbo on the National to beat it. again finding someone who owns a car like that who can also drive it is rare.

The gallardo I'm sure will be worthless in 5 years from now so in theory if I wanted to own a "Real" lamborghini I could get one. I'm sure they'll be worth below 50k soon since they made so damn many of them. For now I rode in my buddies LP640 Replica and loved it. The damn thing was perfect all the way around. I didn't like how he spent 55k building it but at the end of the day the car is a real looker. I wouldn't mind building one like his that's simple and drivable. Passes CA emissions. and cheap.
CincinnatiFiero

VF1SkullAngel wrote:
Those numbers might be from a professional driver but honestly I have yet to meet with anyone that knows how to race a 308.... again finding someone who owns a car like that who can also drive it is rare.
True of Ferrari owners, true of Fiero Owners, True of Mercedes owners, True of BMW owners, True of Honda Owners, True of....