Hey Rockcrawl!!!!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

THE PUNISHER

Hey Rockcrawl!!!!

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Ok , enough is enough.. I have been to your site and read the little bit that is there ,b ut I want the Low down on your Turbo Northstar!!! Not so much the ignition , I think your a mad scientist the way you have done it , or perhaps I took the lazy mans way out...(commander 9fity)

Just a run down , I heard you got it pre-Turbo'd and your redoing the setup... It's something I would really like to do to my car... I think the turbo and a 5spd would be a monster

Thanks!

Jonathan M.
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I think that he's using the Holley as well.
I also hear that he's having a hard time keeping up with the demand for TH125's...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I'll give him the one in my garage if he wants it.
rockcrawl
The Best

Post by rockcrawl »

I bought the car in Queens NY. It was a non-running incomplete car. Stripped out for weight, no heat, no lights, no steel impact bumpers, etc. Race seat, harness, and roll bar installed. There was no wiring harness or ECM, no exhaust or turbo, just a bare Northstar sitting in the back bolted to a TH125. I'm told it had a Ford turbo and a distributor driven off the front camshaft. The story I got is that it ran "well into the 11's", then the owner lost interest in favor of an RX-7 drag car, stole the aftermarket ECU, dist., turbo, and some other parts for use on other projects or whatever. None of that really matters anymore.
I wasn't really happy with the way some stuff was done, so I took it all apart and basicly started over. I built all new mounts, new exhaust, new T61 turbo and supporting parts. Right now I'm running Accel DFI with a distributor. I'll get the DFI to run the DIS, but I don't have any of the Caddy DIS parts and I didn't want to steal parts off of my other engines. So for now it's got a distributor.
I put a few hundred fairly trouble-free test miles on it at 5psi without water in the intercooler. I got the intercooler plumbing done and immediately turned the boost up to 10 psi and about the same time I put drag radials on it. That's when the trans started slipping like mad and then stuck in first gear. I got the trans working again, but the engine has tons of crankcase pressure, it's blowing oil and vapor out everywhere. I may have holed a piston or burned rings. That was almost a month ago, it's just been parked in the garage since then.
Next step is a low compression rebuild with forged pistons and a 4T65E with a PCS controller. Right now I don't have any motivation to work on the car so it will just be parked in the garage for the next few months until I get excited about it again.