Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Nissan Cummins diesel?

Post by crzyone »

I like this a lot.

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/offici ... v8-diesel/

V-8 Cummins, 300hp, 500lb/ft and in a not bad looking truck. Think I might have to trade in my Dodge in a few years. Want to make sure the first years of this new engine and truck are reliable.
Titan will be the only truck in its class with a V8 oil burner.

Good news for folks who want a diesel V8 for towing but don’t want a heavy duty 2500 series truck. Nissan will be offering a turbo-diesel 5.0L V8 in its next Titan, due in either the 2015 or 2016 model years.

Constantly at the bottom of the pack in sales, the Titan hasn’t seen significant updating since it went on sale in 2003. A replacement was initially planned to be based off the new Ram 1500, but the deal between Chrysler and Nissan fell through.

Since then, and after acquiring Fred Dias from the Ram brand, Nissan has been working on a new truck in-house. They seem to be very serious about bringing a viable competitor to market with this announcement of a new diesel.

The new 5.0L engine from Cummins should pump out 300+ hp and about 550 lb-ft of torque. This is a lot less than other diesel engines currently offered by the Big 3, but engines are much larger in the heavy duty pickups. The 5.0L should bring more capability to light duty trucks than the new Chrysler 3.0L diesel and better fuel economy than the heavier hitters.

Press release and images below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NISSAN TO EQUIP NEXT-GENERATION TITAN PICKUP WITH NEW CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

IRVINE, Calif. - At the kickoff of Nissan 360, an industry showcase of Nissan’s global product and technology portfolio, the company announced it will offer a newly-developed Cummins V8 turbo diesel in its next-generation full-size pickup.

Now in the latter stages of development and testing, the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel engine has been optimized for the next generation Titan as a result of the partnership between Cummins and Nissan. Cummins also is developing a version of the engine for its commercial vehicle customers.

“We have done our homework on the next-generation Titan. Truck owners told us there’s a demand for the performance and torque of a diesel in a capable truck that doesn’t require the jump up to a heavy-duty commercial pickup,” said Fred Diaz, divisional vice president, Nissan Sales & Marketing, Service & Parts, Nissan North America. “There is no question that the new Titan will turn heads, and with the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel, we expect to win new fans and attract buyers looking for this unique configuration.”

Nissan has previously announced the next-generation Titan will add powertrain options and cab-and-box configurations to broaden the appeal of the new truck when it comes to market.

“We are very excited to partner with Nissan on the introduction of the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel to the North American pickup truck market,” said Dave Crompton, vice president, Cummins Engine Business. “This new engine will offer the right balance of power, performance and fuel economy while delivering the dependability that customers expect of a Cummins engine. This will be a great package.”

With a torque rating in the mid-500s (lb-ft) and more than 300 horsepower, the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will provide light truck customers the combination of towing capacity and mileage that is expected in the highly-competitive North American truck marketplace.

The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will be built in America’s manufacturing heartland at the Columbus Engine Plant, in Columbus, Ind., Cummins headquarters. This plant has the latest technological innovations to continue the 90-plus year tradition of building the highest quality Cummins engines.

The Titan program is being led by teams in Nissan Americas’ headquarters in Franklin, Tenn., while engineering and testing is performed by Nissan Technical Center North America in Farmington Hills, Mich. and Stanfield, Ariz. as well as Nissan’s global engineering center. Design is being led by Nissan Design America in La Jolla, Calif.

Like the current model, the next-generation Titan will be built at Nissan’s Canton, Miss. vehicle assembly plant and its gasoline engines cast, forged and assembled at Nissan’s Decherd, Tenn. powertrain plant.

For competitive reasons, Nissan is not announcing launch dates at this stage in the truck’s development, however engineering prototype trucks powered by the Cummins engine are currently undergoing extensive on-public-highway performance and durability testing.

Further information on the upcoming Titan truck and Cummins engine will be released at a later date.

Dodge is also getting a Diesel in their half ton, but I'm more attached to the Cummins name than the truck it's self.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Rated To Tow 9200 Pounds
Friday, Jul 26, 2013
When the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel was first announced, Chrysler boasted the diesel-powered truck would ultimately boast “impressive capability.” Thanks to an announcement made this morning, we now know that means the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is rated to tow up to 9200 pounds

That figure is tied to a two-wheel-drive, regular-cab 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel fitted with a 8-foot pickup bed. That’s nearly 1900 pounds more than a similarly equipped 2014 Ram 1500 with the 3.6-liter Pentastar gasoline V-8, and roughly 800 pounds shy of a comparably-spec’ed Ram 1500 with equipped with the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8.

Although the EcoDiesel will be offered in other Ram 1500 configurations, a Ram Trucks spokesman says tow ratings for those vehicles are still “in validation.”

Even so, the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel has other six-cylinder full-size pickups bested for towing. Two-wheel-drive, long-bed 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and 2014 GMC Sierra pickups equipped with the 4.3-liter V-6 are rated to tow 7900 pounds. A 2014 Ford F-150 ordered with the base 3.7-liter V-6 can tow as much as 6700 pounds, while F-150s fitted with the optional twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 can pull as much as 9700 pounds. A 2013 Toyota Tundra equipped with the base 4.0-liter six-cylinder pulls up to 4900 pounds, if equipped with an optional tow package.

It’s worth noting that, to date, only Toyota abides by the J2807 tow rating standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, meaning each manufacturer’s rating and testing differs slightly.

As the name suggests, the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is powered by a 3.0-liter turbo-diesel V-6 sourced from VM Motori. Virtually identical to the EcoDiesel engine offered in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the engine produces 240 hp at 3600 rpm in pickup guise, along with a stout 420 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm. Chrysler promises admirable fuel economy from the powertrain, but isn’t talking figures until the final certification and validation has been performed.

Full pricing for the 2014 Ram 1500 has not yet been announced, but Chrysler says the trucks equipped with the EcoDiesel will command a $2850 premium over the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8/ eight-speed automatic combination.

Expect more towing and fuel economy figures to be revealed just prior to the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel’s market launch later this year.

Source: Ram
CincinnatiFiero

Re: Nissan Cummins diesel?

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

That is intriguing. I'll be curious to check one out when it comes out.

Do you have a 12V or 24V?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

2002 24V. Last year of the 2nd gen body style.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Cummins bring the moon here, I'm going to buy another power stroke probably. Love that body style dodge though.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I've pretty much hated Power Stroke ever since the POS 6.0L

I've always been a Dodge fan I guess. When I was 12 years old the new 1993 2nd gen Dodge came out and I can still remember the commercials for it. Then Twister came out and the truck was almost a character.

I'm likely going to give the old girl a paint job in the spring and drive it for another 10 years. The engine is just broke in at 160,000 miles.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I wish just one of these truck companies would truly update the diesel, bring tomorrow's technology here today. The past 10 years has brought huge advances to the gas engine, but not much to the diesel. DOHC is not uncommon, but beyond that they're the same as they were 30 years ago. Even the prototype above doesn't seem that updated.

I guess I'd like to see a twin turbo, aluminum block, reverse-flow heads with 180* "headers" (Like the new TT BMW V8), and ECU improvements to match.

I love diesels, but like that article states, you're only option to get one is in a huge truck. My dream car would be a BMW 335d, 2-door, with a manual trans. But BMW will only put the diesel in a 4 door with an auto.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

That does look like a freaking great truck. I've been lamenting for a while that common diesels available in the US are either VW's 1.9-2.0 TDi or a 6.0+ V8 that can tow 25,000 lbs... nothing in between. Toyota's 4.2 I6 diesel in the international market Land Cruisers is a nice piece of hardware. I wish they'd bring that here. It's also too bad GM dropped their 4.3 diesel V8 that would fit anywhere an LS engine would fit. I'd lust after that...

Diesels have different design paradigms than gas engines.
However, one design criteria is the same: Emissions. The NUMBER ONE thing that influences diesel design is that modern diesels, as delivered by the OEM, MUST *NEVER* SMOKE. *ALL* of the piston, chamber, valve, port and injector design and injection strategies support that one criteria more than anything else.

Common rail diesels are incredibly capable. The Duramax is nearly 60 HP/litre. That's phenomenal for a truck diesel, historically speaking. BMW, Merc and VW are well beyond that for specific output in car engines. Diesel technology *IS* advancing VERY rapidly... it's just that the US market is not very friendly to it.