2003 Cadillac CTS Gauges in a Fiero

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Identity Crisis

2003 Cadillac CTS Gauges in a Fiero

Post by Identity Crisis »

Any thoughts on the gauge cluster from an 03 Cadillac CTS Working with the Fiero electrical system?

My thoughts are that since I believe all of the newer vehicles get their gauge information from the computer I would need to replace the computer as well. So if so would I be able to use the 7730 ECM to run the gauges?

I love the look of the CTS Dash and it looks like it just might work in the Fiero with modifications of course.

2015 Dodge Journey RT Rally AWD
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: 2003 Cadillac CTS Gauges in a Fiero

Post by crzyone »

What's wrong with the stock gauges?
Identity Crisis

Not feeling them.... Feel dated.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Haha! You've got the wrong car then man if you're not feeling the dated look. I think the CTS gauges that year were CAN-BUS weren't they? You've got to have a body control module talking to the cluster for it to work.

Plus, even if you could squeeze them in there, you'll never get a finished product that is good looking. Ask Series8217 about how he feels about some of the retrofits he's seen out in Cali.

Now gauge overlays, or even new pods to use in your existing cluster, that's a good idea I think. Changing the needle color helps a lot too.

Here's a thread I did way back whenever where I changed the needle color (Cliffs blocked us from linking, just click the url once it takes you to the unavailable page and press enter):
http://www.fiero.com/cgi-bin/fiero/showT ... =printable

Speedhut overlays and new pods look great in my opinion:

This way you're working with the same technology, instead of trying to interface equipment that's completely different.
Identity Crisis

Awesome, thanks. Yes I was also looking at some EL lighting and changing the gauges to white. But they dont have my non AC style heater design... I will keep looking.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Identity Crisis wrote:Any thoughts on the gauge cluster from an 03 Cadillac CTS Working with the Fiero electrical system?

My thoughts are that since I believe all of the newer vehicles get their gauge information from the computer I would need to replace the computer as well. So if so would I be able to use the 7730 ECM to run the gauges?

I love the look of the CTS Dash and it looks like it just might work in the Fiero with modifications of course.

The 7730 doesn't talk the same language as the new computers.

You probably wouldn't be able to get the gauges to work without a CTS BCM (I *think* this is the bus master in the GM designs) as EMC mentioned, as well as the CTS engine computer to generate the correct information for the bus.

So if you're going to swap in a 3.6 DI *AND* the Caddy BCM, then you should be able to run the Caddy instrument cluster. In modern cars, the gauges are integral to the instrument cluster, which is a tightly integrated module.

RickAdy (RickAdy88GT I think...) on Old Europe has done this sort of work (TWICE!) with both the 3.5 shortstar V6 and Alero gauges/BCM as well as the LS4 and Grand Prix BCM.