my nutz r frozen

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

banditbalz

my nutz r frozen

Post by banditbalz »

Changing the wheels and tires over to winters on the Avenger and had a hell of a time getting the lugs off. With the use of my neighbours impact wrench and a bunch of hammering, i managed to break them free. Got me wondering, what should I be torqueing the lugs to? I went 50 lb/ft on the steel wheels and from what I remember, 40 lb/ft on the aluminum wheels.

Anyone else get frozen nutz?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Girlington was frozen as hell today
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I do 75 to 80 ftlbs.
banditbalz

Post by banditbalz »

girlington is for girls. Borington is for people who enjoy the night life there, or lack of.

eHoward, so at 50 lb/ft there is a distinct possibility that I may lose a wheel or two on the highway tomorrow moning?

I'll try to keep it under 120km/h...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Youll probably feel the wheel get loose before you lose it.

It might make for some interesting bets.
trigger

Post by trigger »

on a car like that, we usually do 100 at the shop.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

It's probably not how tight they were torqued that made them so hard to get off, it was probably corrosion which froze them up. Just slap some anti-seize on the lug-bolts, and also around the hub ring and torque 'em down nice and tight. You'll never have a problem getting them off again.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I hear its illegal in some states on this side of the border for mechanics to antiseize those threads.

I dont antiseize my wheel stud threads for fear that the bolt might back off. YMMV.
GoD wrote:It's probably not how tight they were torqued that made them so hard to get off, it was probably corrosion which froze them up. Just slap some anti-seize on the lug-bolts, and also around the hub ring and torque 'em down nice and tight. You'll never have a problem getting them off again.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

eHoward wrote:I hear its illegal in some states on this side of the border for mechanics to antiseize those threads.

I dont antiseize my wheel stud threads for fear that the bolt might back off. YMMV.
GoD wrote:It's probably not how tight they were torqued that made them so hard to get off, it was probably corrosion which froze them up. Just slap some anti-seize on the lug-bolts, and also around the hub ring and torque 'em down nice and tight. You'll never have a problem getting them off again.
I have anti-seized the threads on every vehicle i own. My father, a mechanic for 30 years has done the same, and this includes Mass Transit buses. Never had a single wheel fall off.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

banditbalz wrote:eHoward, so at 50 lb/ft there is a distinct possibility that I may lose a wheel or two on the highway tomorrow moning?
eHoward wrote:Youll probably feel the wheel get loose before you lose it.
Your lugs will have to be extremely loose before the wheel falls off.

As an example, let's say you install a front wheel and snug up the lug nuts with the wheel in the air. You're keeping the tire from rotating with your left hand and operating the breaker bar with your right hand. Then you put the car back on the ground, get distracted, and forget to torque them properly.

This can withstand an entire day of rallying without loosening.

Or so I heard.

Doug