Time to dump that boat anchor of an RB26

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

Time to dump that boat anchor of an RB26

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/nissan-u ... orsepower/

Thought this was sort of neat, the hybrid drive system I don't quite understand. Seems like a true hybrid system would save more fuel than one fully electric lap per hour.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Time to dump that boat anchor of an RB26

Post by crzyone »

This engine has been all over my facebook feed. Pretty cool engine, amazing for it's weight. Hopefully it's durability is good.

Nissan has been doing some pretty neat things. The Delta wing race car is pretty frigin cool.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Interesting article. Thanks for the link

Hybrids work best in light load conditions. It may work like current F1 hybrid systems in that it may have both mechanical and thermal energy recovery.

IE, instead of venting exhaust gas around the turbine via a wastegate, make the turbine full flow and use an electric motor/generator to absorb the excess turbine output, thereby controlling boost and storing energy at the same time. Look at how bulky the turbine housing is...

Running a fully electric lap takes a lot of electricity. They must be using flywheels instead of batteries in the race car.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I hate it when videos fail to expound on the technology they're about. I'm really interested to know why that oil chemistry is better than German oils.

Good link man. Digging this websight.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Hybrids work best in light load conditions. It may work like current F1 hybrid systems in that it may have both mechanical and thermal energy recovery.

IE, instead of venting exhaust gas around the turbine via a wastegate, make the turbine full flow and use an electric motor/generator to absorb the excess turbine output, thereby controlling boost and storing energy at the same time. Look at how bulky the turbine housing is...
That's the compressor housing. Looks like a regular turbine and waste gate. Paused a bunch of times, nothing special bolted to the outlet of the WG either.

I've seen other articles that say it will run on engine power until regenerative braking charges the batteries to full then it goes full electric again.

I'd be more impressed if they ditched the electric crap and focused on using the waste heat of the engine and exhaust. Why not build a closed steam system to run a generator and an assist motor? Or use a combination of all 3 and charge the battery that much faster. I've never understood why we throw away so much energy through a radiator and exhaust. Not that long ago a 6 cycle engine looked promising. On the 3rd cycle the engine injects water to produce steam off the very hot engine parts. This was used on a Diesel and I thought the concept was pretty neat.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:

That's the compressor housing. Looks like a regular turbine and waste gate. Paused a bunch of times, nothing special bolted to the outlet of the WG either.

I've seen other articles that say it will run on engine power until regenerative braking charges the batteries to full then it goes full electric again.

I'd be more impressed if they ditched the electric crap and focused on using the waste heat of the engine and exhaust. Why not build a closed steam system to run a generator and an assist motor? Or use a combination of all 3 and charge the battery that much faster. I've never understood why we throw away so much energy through a radiator and exhaust. Not that long ago a 6 cycle engine looked promising. On the 3rd cycle the engine injects water to produce steam off the very hot engine parts. This was used on a Diesel and I thought the concept was pretty neat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosteamer

If you google "BMW Turbosteamer" you can find out a good bit more info on the system.
It uses waste heat from coolant and exhaust to run a closed cycle steam engine (I think it's a Sterling cycle) and add a little extra oomph to a small engine. It's better on the autobahn, though as that's where there's the most waste heat.

The electric setup is good because it's regenerative. IE, an engine burns fuel to climb to the top of a hill, and that energy can't be recovered. An electric car will pull energy from the battery to climb a hill, but will be able to put that energy back into the battery on the way back down. The problem hybrids have is that batteries produce a good bit of waste heat when subjected to high charge or discharge currents, so an electric car can't pull a lot of energy out of the battery quickly and then put it back immediately. The final state of charge will be less than the initial state of charge. This same aspect of batteries also impacts charge time. Doubling the charging power does not cut the charge time in half, due to the waste heat that the high current causes the battery to develop. Batteries also wear out, so there's an end of life environmental concern as well.

So the ideal efficiency car uses a regenerative power source to climb and descend hills, but a high density, quickly charged non-regenerative power source (like an ICE with a fuel tank) to push the car through non-conservative loads like air at high speed
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yeah we discussed that BMW system years ago but I'm just disappointed that nothing has come of it. A radiator, exhaust and brakes all have usable energy, pretty silly to only utilize one of them. Years ago there was also talk about using a maser in the exhaust to produce electricity from high energy particles when they drop to low energy states. Don't quite remember everything about it but it was also interesting.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think it would be nifty to use linear motor generators for dampers. They could be adjusted instantaneously like MR shocks, but driving over a bumpy road would charge the battery.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:Yeah we discussed that BMW system years ago but I'm just disappointed that nothing has come of it. A radiator, exhaust and brakes all have usable energy, pretty silly to only utilize one of them. Years ago there was also talk about using a maser in the exhaust to produce electricity from high energy particles when they drop to low energy states. Don't quite remember everything about it but it was also interesting.
One thing I think would be interesting would be to incorporate BMW's turbosteamer directly into the engine... have a 4 cylinder engine with 3 cyl for combustion and one for energy recovery. It would run a little uneven because the recovery cylinder likely wouldn't hit as hard as the combustion cylinders, but a 3 cylinder vibrates, too.