Prototyping dead-front graphics

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Prototyping dead-front graphics

Post by Series8217 »

Does anyone have a source for one-off "dead-front" overlays? These are the lamp overlays that appear blank, but show an image when the backlight is on. An example is many of the indicator lights on the Fiero instrument cluster, such as the turn signal indicators.

Alternatively, how can these be made using off-the-shelf supplies? I do have access to a laser cutter.

I found a general description of one process on this site:
http://www.primeproductsinc.com/cnc-las ... ansas.html
[...] the overlay and PSA backing were laser cut on our CNC CO2 laser, with spray paint applied in our spray booth with a fine-detail spray gun. The overlay was also fiber laser etched on our Ytterbium fiber laser, the finished overlay was also oven baked and cured, then assembled.
The materials used:
Lexan 8010 clear film, polish/polish/ 0.20"
Black ADE52 (Epoxy screen ink)
White NAZADE75 1K (Epoxy screen ink)
3M 9690B (double-sided adhesive)
"Proprietary dead-front paint system"
"Clear matte polyurethane mix"

My deduction: since the Lexan 8010 film is polished, the clear matte poly gives the matte appearance on the front side. The back side has 3 or 4 layers.. the non-graphics areas seem to be black epoxy ink backed with white epoxy ink. The graphics I'm not so sure. In the back side image you can see reliefs around the characters, revealing either black epoxy or the dead-front ink. How is this layered?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Prototyping dead-front graphics

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Can't color print on a transparency and cut out the coupon for installation in the instrument cluster?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Can't color print on a transparency and cut out the coupon for installation in the instrument cluster?
That would just be a transparent graphic. Dead-fronting it is so it appears black when front-lit (or not lit) is not possible with a single stage print.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I received a response from http://www.rapidkeypads.com/. They can provide one-off overlays. I will put together some artwork samples to send them for a price estimate.