Do the Aluminium Oil Pans from the 3400/3500 fit on the 3.4?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Identity Crisis

Do the Aluminium Oil Pans from the 3400/3500 fit on the 3.4?

Post by Identity Crisis »

Do the Aluminium Oil Pans from the 3400/3500 fit on the 3.4 DOHC?

I am only thinking this cause of the design and I have a spare one around and they don't rust like the metal OEM.
2015 Dodge Journey RT Rally AWD
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Oil Pans

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun41178(2)

Re: Do the Aluminium Oil Pans from the 3400/3500 fit on the

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

No
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Don't worry about series, his hair grew down to his panties and is irritating his vajayjay.

I was also interested in this, but like the thread on 60* pointed out, it's pretty much a no unless you want to re-fabricate the pan.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Don't take this the wrong way but you are over complicating one of the easiest swaps you can put into a Fiero. It would be easiest to do the basic swap, get it running properly and then look into boosting it or whatever your eventual plans are. Maybe a stock 3.4TDC will be all the power you are looking for, I know mine felt pretty quick compared to the stock 2.8.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Now pardon my ignorance, why would one want to do this? Does an aluminum oil pan reduce oil temps?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

From what I have read about them, they are actually structural to some degree, and provide some support to the bottom end over stamped pans. To what extent I'm not sure. I do know that I hate replacing gaskets on stamped pans and American engines in general.

As for whether the question was asked appropriately; I do know that this was an easy find on a search engine, and I know its been hashed over a hundred times on 60degreeV6. I also know most people here have first hand experience with this question and are a little bit annoyed to see it asked again. However, this is "tech" and advanced tech exists for a reason. I also know not everyone is from the same generation here and not everyone is from a time when the internet existed to research anything you wanted. People used to have to talk to other people believe it or not. So I can see both sides. I personally am happy when I see new members asking questions here because it means the person asking the question values the knowledge the people he's asking have.

If the question isn't technical enough to meet the criteria, I think it should be communicated politely or ignored, instead of being rude. And I did think the response was rude. I wouldn't have liked it if that was the response to my question.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Emc209i wrote:From what I have read about them, they are actually structural to some degree, and provide some support to the bottom end over stamped pans. To what extent I'm not sure. I do know that I hate replacing gaskets on stamped pans and American engines in general.

If the question isn't technical enough to meet the criteria, I think it should be communicated politely or ignored, instead of being rude. And I did think the response was rude. I wouldn't have liked it if that was the response to my question.
My personal opinion is that if the only response that comes to mind is rude, no response is better.

The cast pan includes cross bolts into the main caps, bolstering bottom end strength to some degree.

IOW, even if you could swap the pan, you'd have to swap main caps and have the mains align-honed/bored as well.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Sounds like a lot of work for limited gains.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

That theme runs with the engine selection. If it was a bolt on I'd do it.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Ya, but although the 3.4 can be difficult to modify, the rewards can be huge. Besides being on the fat side, I don't think there's a better engine for the Fiero. I know 3800 is better by the numbers, but it lacks a matched performance and personality to the car. The LSX is the best automotive engine ever produced. Put it in a Ferrari, and the car's value gets cut in half.