new member, problems with crankshaft sensor v6

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

viperman

new member, problems with crankshaft sensor v6

Post by viperman »

hello everyone!
im new to this forum, and have a question about my blown 84 fiero.
i bought it a few years ago, but its been kept in storage for most part. i took it out a few weeks ago, and replaced the old electromotive fuel management system with a brand new megasquirt stand alone fuel management system. however, i ran into a problem when i was about to fire it up.

the crankshaft sensor has the wrong paramenter, and therefore gives the ecu wrong signals. does anyone know the angle of the sensor in relation to tdc?

oh, its got a stroked 2.8 v6 with a eaton m62 blower, forged internals etc.. should put out about 400bhp.

FieroWanaBe1

Re: new member, problems with crankshaft sensor v6

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

The 7X wheel has a notch for each cylinder TDC. The 7th notch is 10 degrees after TDC. There should be an article on the mega manual for gm DIS that would be helpful.

An M62 cannot flow 400hp of air. Maybe 300...
car.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The 3.1 dis crank has 7 notches. 6 of them at 60 degrees away from each other and the 7th is 10 degrees after the number 1 cylinder as a reference for the gm computer. I have never programmed a ms on a Fiero so not sure if a factory sensor and trigger wheel can be used however people have programmed the 60 degree with MS so I know it can be done.

And yes m62 won't flow 400 hp worth of air. Sounds like a cool project though. Pics of engine bay?
viperman

Post by viperman »

Thanks for the quick replys.
400hp is just the number the guy i bought it from estimated.. There is a second guy who actually built the engine, 12 years ago. Havent ran much since.

The triggerwheel and sensor is an aftermarket on, with 60-2 setup. Does that change anything?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

it doesn't change anything. you just have to attach that trigger wheel setup if its not already and then program the MS for that trigger wheel. Factory is no longer needed then.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

viperman wrote: oh, its got a stroked 2.8 v6 with a eaton m62 blower, forged internals etc.. should put out about 400bhp.
You can't say that and then not post a photo of the engine bay %)

Ditto on the M62 not making 400 HP... The M90 can barely hit 400 HP and it's run WAY beyond its design limits to do that.
viperman wrote: the crankshaft sensor has the wrong paramenter, and therefore gives the ecu wrong signals. does anyone know the angle of the sensor in relation to tdc?
If the trigger wheel is aftermarket, then you need to read the Mega Manual and figure it out. There's a spec that says how many teeth the algorithm is expecting to see between TDC #1 and the synch tooth.

Still using the 2.8 block?
viperman

Post by viperman »

Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

220 hp at the wheels with a good tune. That's more realistic a picture.

Welcome. Now, its been a VERY long time since I've even looked at a 2.8 liter engine, but ... and I might be completely off base.... there is no trigger wheel, is there? Doesn't it rely on the distributor for fuel injection? I thought the ignition module talked to the ECU about which bank to fire.

Edit: Didn't catch you specified it was an aftermarket trigger wheel. Never mind.