Needed: Torque patterns for the 96 3800sc

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Lou and Blue

Needed: Torque patterns for the 96 3800sc

Post by Lou and Blue »

Starting a 3800sc swap into my 4 spd 85 GT. I will be replacing the following gaskets while the engine is on the stand.
Supercharger
LIM
Oil Pan
Oil filter adapter
Front and rear main seals
I can find torque settings but no patterns. :unknown:
Can anyone please help me?
I also need a link to where I can purchase the tool that does the +50 DEG tightening after using the torque wrench, I don't even know the name of the tool.
I have only I used torque wrenches in the past and I'm new to the + DEG thing. :unknown:
And which bolts do I put anti-seize on and which do I put thread locker on? And where do I use the RTV? Sorry for being a dummy. I know that's not well tolerated on this site. %)
Thank you all!
Louis
Emc209i

Re: Needed: Torque patterns for the 96 3800sc

Post by Emc209i »

This is the only sequence you need:

The supercharger, the oil pain, and the adapter you start in the middle and work your way out, alternating in a criss-cross pattern.

The tool is called a "torque to yield angle guide". I would buy a finer quality guage, but here's an example:
http://amzn.com/B00EVBUA36

Torque to yield is easy, you simply tighten to the correct torque spec like you normally would and then turn the wrench the addition degrees specified.

50ft lbs + 180* over = tighten to 50 ft lbs and then turn the bolt an additional 180*.

The correct tool for installing the crankshaft seals is:
J38196
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Thank you! I have a harbor freight Pittsburg torque wrench but that's it. Are the gauge and tool for the seals soemthing that maybe autozone lends out? Since I will only be using them once. Ill look at your link and if its not too much ill just buy one. Where do I use antisieze and where do I use thread seal or lock tite? And where do I put rtv silicone? This is my first engine swap and my first time breaking down an engine to replace parts and gaskets.
Thanks again,
Louis
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

There is a science behind using anti-sieze and lock tight that I'm not prepared to go into. It would be better that you used none of either than to use one on the wrong bolt and suffer engine failure. I'm sure there's a definitive guide somewhere but I don't know where it is. Experience will teach you otherwise.

Using RTV is a bad practice. Purchase new gaskets and you shouldn't need to use any. Also, you should only use aluminum replacement intake gaskets, which are very expensive but are lifetime replacements.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Thanks for the advice,
I did buy all new gaskets from zz performance
Aluminum lower intake gasket , paper supercharger gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gasket, yellow o rings for supercharger and front and rear main seals.
I'm asking around if anyone local has those tools for me to borrow because I will only need them once.
I broke my leg last week so it'll be another 5 weeks till I can walk again and start this work.
Thank you so much for the info !!!!!
Louis
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's important to understand that Torque + Angle (T+A 8) ) is NOT the same as Torque to Yield (TTY)

T+A is simply a precise way of torquing a bolt, while TTY permanently deforms the bolt. A T+A bolt can be reused, a TTY can not.

There are a wide variety of torque/angle meters on the market.

My personal philosophy is to use anti-seize on everything that's exposed to weather, unless there's a reason to use something else. For example, if a bolt intrudes into coolant or oil, then you use a sealer on the threads instead of anti-seize. Critical fasteners (meaning things get broken if they come loose) get loctite. I used loctite on the CV joint bolts in the driveshaft in my girlfriend's Audi, for example. I almost always use blue loctite. The only thing I've ever used red loctite for are the timeserts in my Northstar block. I want those to stay in place forever.

RTV can/may still be required in small amounts at specific locations. Typically, that's where three sealing surfaces come together. For example, the spots where the Northstar front cover seals the joint between upper and lower crankcase each take a dab. That's still a far cry from needing half a tube to get a small block Chevy to seal up. I'm not sure if the 3800 requires any or not.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Just for redundancy and consistency, can someone post the torque specs for the 1996 series 2 3800sc
Oil pan
LIM
Supercharger
Oil filter adapter
Flywheel

Thank you!
Louis