installing AN style hose ends.(how to)

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

installing AN style hose ends.(how to)

Post by ericjon262 »

I just re-did my fuel lines with AN style fittings, and thought I would do a quick how to write up.

first, what are AN fittings, AN fittings are not aerospace fittings as many believe, the may be used there, but their origins are in the military, AN stands for Army-Navy. All AN fittings are sized in 1/16" increments, to find the inch size of an AN fitting, simply divide the fitting number by 16. Example, -4 AN would be a 1/4" fitting (4 divided by 16 is .25 or 1/4), or -6AN would be 3/8", ect. fitting sizes are typically between -2 (1/8") to -32(2"). All AN flare fittings use a 37* flare, which is not compatible with typical plumbing flare tools, which use a 45* flare. Flaring a tube for an AN fitting is no different than any other flare, just make sure you use a 37* flaring anvil/die set.

Another option, if you don't have flare tools available is to use compression fitting. The compression fittings use a Ferrule/lockring combination, unlike typical plumbing fittings, which use just a ferrule.

they install in a manner similar to standard compression fittings, just need to make sure the ferrule and lockring are int he right order on the hose or it won't seal. There are Ferrule setting tools, but most people just install the tube nut lockring, the ferrule, and then tighten them directly to the fitting. I've done this multiple times to no ill effect. I'll add pictures of the actual install process later (this week, maybe next week)

now, for the main event, hose ends.

First, push lock fittings.

Name pretty much says it all, this style hose end uses sharp serrations to grip the inner wall of the hose. No hose clamp is required, but the fitting only works with certain types of hose. The only way to remove a push lock fitting is to cut it off, for that reason, I consider push lock fittings a one time use fitting. to install, oil the barbed end of the fitting, and push it onto the hose, beware, it can be a bitch to get them on. No hose clamps are required, although it wouldn't hurt anything, a finished product will look something like this:

Now, re-usable hose ends for stainless braided hose:

First step, measure the hose, get the length where you need it and mark it.

Next, apply tape over the marked area, I usually go around the hose 3-5 times for a -6 hose, with the middle of the tape over the mark made in step one. I use electrical tape.

now, using an angle grinder with an abrasive style cut off wheel, cut the hose, go slow, it's not a race. straighter is better. DO NOT REMOVE THE TAPE!

once the hose it cut, DO NOT REMOVE THE TAPE! The hose it will be full of dust and crap from the cutting process, clean it out, you don't want to kill your new injectors, or clog your new fuel filter.

now, press the hose nut onto the hose, make sure it's all the way in the nut. if you removed the tape, you now see why I said not to in the earlier posts because now, the braid has opened up and it's hard as hell to get the nut over it...

Image (this picture sucks worse than bad, working on a new one...)

after installing the nut, mark the hose with the marker you used to mark your cut, this mark will be a baseline so you can see how far the hose pushed out of the nut, I haven't had a hose push out more than 2-3% anything over 5%, and I would start over

Next, I pour a little bit of clean engine oil into a small container (in the case, the cap from the oil jug) and dip the other end of the fitting into the oil to lubricate it as it pushes into the hose.

many people say to put the hose nut in a vice as you press and turn the hose end into the hose nut, I haven't had a vice available, nor have I needed one. from here, just press the hose end into the hose nut, and turn to tighten the fitting, taking care not to crossthread, tighten until the hose end bottoms out on the hose nut, don't tighten an further or you night strip the threads, or mar the finish on the fitting.

now, you think you're done, but there's one step left, I recommend pressurizing the hose to at least 1.5 times operating pressure with compressed air, and giving a coating of soapy water to check for leaks, especially for fuel lines, you don't want all this work going up in smoke...

I'll work on adding more pictures and info here in the next couple of weeks, hope someone finds this post helpful.

Edit: Please excuse any inexcusable spelling or grammatical errors, I'm a wee bit drunk...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Re: installing AN style hose ends.(how to)

Post by Emc209i »

ericjon262 wrote: Edit: Please excuse any inexcusable spelling or grammatical errors, I'm a wee bit drunk...
I'll lay into you tomorrow. I'm a little bit drunk. :wink:

Edit: Was an enjoyable read.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote:
ericjon262 wrote: Edit: Please excuse any inexcusable spelling or grammatical errors, I'm a wee bit drunk...
I'll lay into you tomorrow. I'm a little bit drunk. :wink:

Edit: Was an enjoyable read.

lol, thanks. I'm gonna add more info over the next week or two.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

good post

FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I just discovered this:

[QUOTE=cribbj;515962]Mark, did you know the hose itself is now available with a black sheath? Very OEM looking. Here's the mfg: Products | TechAFX

And a dealer: Pace Performance AFX630008 - TechAFX -8 AN Black Wrap Stainless Steel Braided PTFE Hose

I've purchased some of this and it looks good. The outer sheath is a bit shinier than standard dull black hose, but it blends in better than the SS braid. I've also found that you don't need their special fittings - my guy at the Parker store just peeled back the black sheath enough to get his fittings on and it worked well and held up under 800 psi of hydraulic pressure.[/QUOTE]

Here: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/proje ... post515962

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I've used a similar hose before, the stuff I used didn't require you to cut the coating off when you install the ends. my concerns: some of those coating don't hold up well, and begin to get chalky, and even flake off. also, if the coating has to be cut off for install, you'll have an exposed end for contamination to work it's way under the coating, and possibly make the flaking/peeling issue worse.

another option would be nylon braided hose. still very strong, but available in a variety of colors. I would imaging as well, that the blue push loc hose in one of my pictures, would be available in black as well, but I can't say 100%