need 97 3.4 Dohc wiring help

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Gambler87

need 97 3.4 Dohc wiring help

Post by Gambler87 »

Hi my name is Michael and I just joined this forum. I noticed this forum has a lot more 3.4 Dohc stuff then Old Europe.

My vehicle is a 87gt with a 97 3.4 Dohc and a getrag. I have the entire swap done but the wiring. I'm just wondering if someone has a good schematic for the wiring of this swap.

I found that Darth's site lists a schematic for a 97 3800sc swap with the same ecu number as my 97 Monte Carlo 3.4 Dohc ecu. So can I just use that entire thing?

Thanks
jelly2m81

Re: need 97 3.4 Dohc wiring help

Post by jelly2m81 »

Maybe Aaron or Series might have something what you are looking for. This site is a little slow compared to piffle but the info is here is top notch so give them a day or 2 to reply.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Don't use the 3800 schematic.

You'll need, err want, 3 things for your wiring. The pinout for the 3.4 DOHC ECU you have, the pinout for the c500 and c203 Fiero connectors, and the schematic for the 3.4 DOHC.

I have the C203 and C500 pinouts, and can email them to you, but it'll be a few days. These are easy to find, they are all over Old Europe. Just be aware that they aren't 100%, because there were differences in the Fieros. They aren't terribly difficult to figure out.

The DOHC stuff is best found in a service manual, but those are expensive. You should be able to find them via extensive Googling. Any 96-97 3.4 DOHC chart will be 99% complete and accurate, but there will be a couple minor differences so just keep this in mind.

It's hard to help you because I'm not sure how much help you need. So to start with, get those 3 things. The 3.4 DOHC PCM to engine wiring doesn't change, you're simply adding in the Fiero connectors for the parts of the PCM that need to integrate with the car.
Gambler87

Post by Gambler87 »

This wiring came from Darth's site. I'm just asking as to why I can't use it because it should have all the same wires in the same spot because the ecu number is the same. I've looked at 3800 wiring and 3.4 Dohc wiring and they seem to have the same color wires going to the same places.

If someone can give me some more insight into why I can't use this it would be great.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-44.png
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-44.png (148.15 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-51.png
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-51.png (44.5 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-48.png
Screenshot_2014-10-20-20-01-48.png (131.68 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

it would probably still work fine, as long as you're running the right programming.

almost all of the V6 PCM's use a VERY similar pinout, the major differences, transmissions, the minor differences, things like the 3800 using 2 knock sensors, and the ignition stuff being a little bit different. you'd be best off to use a swap wiring guide for a 3100/3400.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Welcome to RFT!

I have all of the wiring diagrams for the '97 Monte and it uses two connectors just like the 3800 OBD II PCM schematic that you have from Darth. However, just because it uses the same connectors, does not mean that the computer receives the same inputs, or that you might not damage your PCM if you wire a power wire into the solid state. I looked through the schematics, and unfortunately they are all over the place like most late model GM resources. I don't have the time to track all of the illustrations and charts down, but here's ten or so pages I put together for you. You should be able to reference these against what you have from Darth. If there are no discrepancies, you might have luck wiring it just like the Buick engine.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8loww ... .4VinX.jpg

If you want to paypal me some beer money, I might be persuaded to put together a schematic folder for you.
Gambler87

Post by Gambler87 »

How much money are we talking and are u going to give me a wire by wire setup on where everything goes. I had all of those wiring diagrams already. Pm me thanks
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

here are my thoughts:

1.use the wiring diagram for a 3400, it uses the same sensor arrangements as the LQ1. ( http://www.gmtuners.com/files/Fiero_340 ... wiring.pdf ) or

2.Install a clutch switch, and wire it into pin 18 on the clear connector. ground the other side of the switch. the switch will need to be normally closed (grounded), and open(not grounded) when the clutch is pressed. Ryan doesn't list this connection in his diagram, because a 3100/3400 never came stock with a manual transmission (nor did your 97 LQ1). this arrangement is derived from 1998~ish F-bodies running the 3800 and the same PCM, the only application I am aware of to use that PCM and a manual.

3. using tiny tuner ( http://theblattners.com/Projects/TinyTuner/default.html )

Transmission>gear ratio>transmission type> set to 0

4. Profit.

Edit:

Step 2 says the switch idea came from a 3800 application, which may confuse you, but before you assume that I'm batshit crazy the 3800 programming and 3100/3400 programming are VERY similar. some bin files even have a "crank sensor resolution" flag that can be set to the 3100/3400 style, the 3.5 Short* style, and the 3800 style. I have been thinking for quite a while that the bin files are much more interchangeable than previously thought. also, I think the switch would only be required if you want to keep cruise control, others have had good experiences without it just by changing the trans type setting.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Gambler87

Post by Gambler87 »

well i used the 97 3800 pinouts for my 97 z34 3.4 dohc swap into my 87 gt fiero and I have success. I followed the swap exactly how he said to do it, the motor runs pretty well. im gueesing it just need to be tuned now (no where near stock motor). so im letting everyone else know that if u are planning a obd 2 3.4 dohc swap into ur fieros. if u can get a 97 monte carlo z34 wiring harness and ecu (7797) u can use gmtuners info for a 97 3800 swap using ecu (7797).

the way I did it so I could do a full wire tucked harness was I used a 97 3800sc wiring harness and I cut every sensor plug off of it. then I cut the ecu plugs off of the 97 z34 harness. and I stripped all the wires back and used myratic acid to clean the spots of wire I would be soldering. I then went wire by wire and solder and heatshrinked every wire together to make the harness super long. my pcm sits in the stock fiero location and my coils sit where the stock battery would have sat. I then got a set of new c203 plugins and c500 plugins. and I ran all the wires I needed to. I then unpinned every automatic trans wire except a couple. then plugged everything in. i then started the motor and ran it for about five sequences of 15 minutes each. while i waa running it i used my dhp tuner to check for engine codes and datalog. i verified all things were working fine,and then i found routing so that the whole harness was tucked (to make it a clean install). then I put split loom over everything and electrical taped the ends of every split loomed part.

I am posting this to let other people know the information I have found out. thanks
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Glad it worked out for you. :good:

So you've got no trouble lights and used a scan tool to be sure all inputs were read?
Gambler87

Post by Gambler87 »

I have no check engine codes after deleting the ones for the egr and auto trans stuff and some evap emissions and everything else I didn't use. And I assume that everything is reading because I can watch everything in realty time data logging on dhp and everything shows to be working properly. Had a couple bugs in there when I first started it. It didn't magically just work on the first try but there was nothing wrong with the wiring using it the way he stated, there were problems with some of the connectors I had and I didn't have a couple pins pushed all the way in on a couple as well. But after trouble shooting everything is good now.