Track brake pads for the 1988 Fiero

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: Track brake pads for the 1988 Fiero

Post by Series8217 »

fierobill wrote:I have run EBC Yellows pretty hard on my 3800SC Fiero at Barbers Motorsport Park and took them down to almost nothing after 8, 20 minute sessions. No complaints on their performance and essentially zero rotor wear. I need something harder and I need more rear brake bias. I had more than 1/2 life left in the rear pads. I'm looking seriously at the Hawk HP100x.480 pad "conversion". I think the Hawk W compound (DTC-30) might be a good choice (100-800 F optimal range). The DTC-70 compounds wants a minimum of 800 degrees for optimal performance according the the Hawk compound chart. That's a bit high IMO. I'm using front OEM calipers on all 4 wheels .... much easier to service between events.
Welcome to the forum!

I've been using the Porterfield R4 pads on my Fiero track car for the past year and they are working great with 12" C4 Corvette rotors (0.7" thick) and stock 88 Fiero calipers. No brake ducting. I did add more rear bias. I don't think the front hubs like the heat -- I go through a set every weekend. I will be adding ducts before the next event to see if I can keep the hubs alive a little longer until I decide on a route for the front bearing upgrade.

I ran Hawk HT-10 pads on my E46 M3 for a road trip around the US. It ate through rotors like a carbide grinding tool when the pads were cold, but the friction was insane, and they stopped the car as if it was hooked up to arresting gear. The sounds the brakes made were amazing. Imagine the sounds of a freight train coming down from 140mph to 60 mph in ~4 seconds.

The DTC-60 looks like it effectively replaces the HT-10 because it has more friction over a wider temperature range. It looks like an excellent pad... if you can put up with the rotor wear.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Track brake pads for the 1988 Fiero

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

fierobill wrote:I have run EBC Yellows pretty hard on my 3800SC Fiero at Barbers Motorsport Park and took them down to almost nothing after 8, 20 minute sessions. No complaints on their performance and essentially zero rotor wear. I need something harder and I need more rear brake bias. I had more than 1/2 life left in the rear pads. I'm looking seriously at the Hawk HP100x.480 pad "conversion". I think the Hawk W compound (DTC-30) might be a good choice (100-800 F optimal range). The DTC-70 compounds wants a minimum of 800 degrees for optimal performance according the the Hawk compound chart. That's a bit high IMO. I'm using front OEM calipers on all 4 wheels .... much easier to service between events.
Welcome to the forum!
I assume your car's an '88, because the stock front '84-'87 calipers are only suitable for scrap.