Lets talk turbos

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

eHoward wrote:i updated teh T3 super60 map and plotted another T4, both with the 2.8 and 6k redline.

note: even with the pessimistic VE, the T3 compressor still falls off the map at redline.
I will do some 3.4 plots next. This is nothing special. With the formulas I provided or excel spreadsheet, anyone can do these.
I'm not saying that the T3 is the best turbo out there for the 2.8/3.4... but you also need to consider that the "pessimistic VE" is VE at peak torque. The VE at the top end is going to be even worse.

175 ftlbs at 3500 RPM ~ 75% VE
140 HP at 4500 RPM (don't really know the 2.8's rated RPM) = 163 ftlbs ~ 68% VE... and as we all know it only gets worse from there...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Will, I am not sold that your method is the correct way to calculate VE. Fortunately I have access to some people much more knowledgable then I. I do think that VE does merit a closer look then I had previously given it.

In addition, the super 60 is a rare turbo. It is the largest T3 one can get. The majority of the homebrew turbo beginners pick up small trim ones. Maybe I will map one of those smaller turbos on the 2.8.

I think Corky had a reason for stating .85 and I dont think it was just that he liked large turbos. Same for MacInnes and .80 a decade earlier.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What kind of engines are they considering?

A highly tuned engine could do that. It's not that hard getting a Chevy to 80% VE. Also, compression ratio figures in... Going by specific torque, a low compression engine will have higher VE than a high compression engine of the same specific torque. Dunno how much right off... that would take some thermodynamic calcs...

The point I was trying to drive home was that the VE curve will look like the torque curve...and one value of VE will not cover all operating ranges of the engine...

For instance, it was mentioned once on the GMECM list that idle VE values in GM computers are in the neighborhood of 15%...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I did this for donk. Take note its .85 VE!

FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Aaaw thanks!

...so whats that tell me.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

The sixty dash one is probably bigger then you need.
donk_316 wrote:Aaaw thanks!

...so whats that tell me.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

eHoward wrote:The sixty dash one is probably bigger then you need.
Ha! Never!

Well...Im plannin on building another motor for this turbo.

Use a 3400 Gen3 motor with some aftermarket slugs and massaged rods and crank. Regrind on the roller and get the heads played with.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

This is pretty close to what the SC61 compressor map would look like if Precision would release it.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Looking at that 60dash1 map again, I take back what I thought about running more then a bar. . .

It is 20+ year old technology. I would run the SC61 or a garrett GT series before running it.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

SC61 is a beast.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Back on topic "lets talk turbos"

ok so that map makes the sc61 "a beast"......uh why? what the hell am i looking at? Looks like a tidal wave or something.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:SC61 is a beast.
A beast on the pocket book I'm sure.
Especially if you go to something like ceramic ball bearings so it'll spool up reasonably.
MY guess is $2,500 clams for a BB version.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I have seen SC61s for $650. This vendor is currently offering them for $675 (might have to call for that price) http://www.wiredspeed.com/itemdesc.asp? ... 61&eq=&Tp=

Same compressor wheel with what I think is all garrett hardware goes for $800 at cheap turbo http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/t3b.html

The ball bearing version called a GT35R goes for about $1300 if you can find it. http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gagt56tr1.html

I havent seen anyone with that weird GT37/T04 hybrid we were talking about Shaun.

I dont want this thread to die, i have just been really busy.
Gixxer wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:SC61 is a beast.
A beast on the pocket book I'm sure.
Especially if you go to something like ceramic ball bearings so it'll spool up reasonably.
MY guess is $2,500 clams for a BB version.
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Those big turbos look like they'd be pretty laggy on the street. Very unpleasant even.
60 lbs/hr? sheesh! That's what, about 600 HP?
I still think if you bought the BEST OPTIONED, street oriented, low lag turbo for a medium boost Fiero it'd run about $2.500.
As an example, for another car, I purchased a T3/ T4 hybred, with modified turbine and a ceramic ball bearing center section, custom machined diffuser section, for $2,100 bucks. A fair price since it was the only game in town (or the world for that matter).
My Fiero, however, is still saddled with the old IHI RHB5--Eeep, Squeek!
I agree with your premise that for a medium boost engine, a T4 is better than a T3 ( the "LAZY LITERS" approach) but with the caveat that it should at least be a BB unit to quicken spool up time on the street.
Good thread, by the way. Thanx for the turbo web sites, they are very helpful.
Cheers, Brian
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Gixxer, lets put what I suggested into perspective.

Donk wanted to use a 60-1. I suggested he look at the SC61 instead. From the data I have seen, it makes more peak power while spooling faster then the 60-1. Win. Win.

You wont get me to say anything bad about ball bearing turbos. I will probably do some sort of GTXXr turbo from garrett when I get my shit together.

For the street with a quick spool, I think the disco potato (GT28rs) is where it is at for turbos. It makes about 30 horse peak. $1100. Not $2000 though. I havent plotted one on the 2.8 yet.

Disco Potato on a B18 with almost a bar of boost vs the GT30(dotted lines):
http://www.evans-tuning.com/dynos/gt28rsvsgt3071.jpg
and the mpeg
http://cs.widener.edu/~epanek/GT28RS.mpg
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I bought (or am in the procees of) Brians T04b 60-1 hifi off of 60degreev6.com

I realize its not "the best" or what have you, but im pretty confident that it will do a good job.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Mind you, I'm not slamming anybody's final choices. Only YOU know what it is that you want out of a turbo installation.
Some of the cheap "showcase turbos" on those sites were pretty damn big....
--In my case, I prize a quick spool-up time more than anything else. I was merely trying to point out that it "costs money" to make a larger turbo be as flexible and responsive as a smaller turbo.
No offense was intended.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yea but try to get more hp out of a smaller turbo. its always a trade off.

A fiero already has enough low end tq. Everyone agress on this.

What we need now is a turbo that has flows more on the top end and do it efficiently since intercoolers are almost impossible to use with these cars. At least any sort of intercooler that will do anything.

This is where we see the need for a slightly larger turbo.

BB turbos are not necessary unless you are going racing and need to have spool 300 rpm sooner then a non BB turbo

Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

A chargecooler IS difficult to fit to a Fiero, no doubt about that. I have in hand a PWR barrel type chargecooler (390 CFM), and have bought and am waiting for some Samco preformed hoses that I think will work. The chargecooler would replace the short double "S" bend tube that came with the Design One kit. It's will be pretty tight 'tho. In fact it may NOT work...
I floated a pic on Old Europe a couple years ago showing a Lotus chargecooler partially mounted on my Formula. If the PWR item doesn't work, the Lotus will eventually get an oversized PUK chargecooler anyway, and the chargecooler shown in the pics will be grafted onto the Fiero.
If you're interested--
http://files.automotiveforums.com/galle ... ser=247172
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Hey very cool "chargecooler". I think i remember those pics.

Doesnt fieroX have a Air-Water cooler mounted low between the motor and the fire wall?

That design1 s-bend has got to be the gheyest piece of engineering i have ever seen.
Resident Import Elitist
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)