88 Grand Am tachometer conversion for V6

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

88 Grand Am tachometer conversion for V6

Post by Series8217 »

I want to use an 88 Grand Am instrument cluster in my 3.4 TDC Fiero. The tach is set up for the Quad 4, and the circuit is not the same as the Fiero tach so I can't go off the instructions for modifying those.

Here's a schematic I drew up real quick. Didn't get all the component values but it should suffice.
(note: the IC is made by Toshiba. I cannot find the data sheet for it online.. anyone have sources they can check?)

Any ideas on what component value to change to make this work with a V6 /w DIS?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Ok.. did some more research.. turns out the older Supras used the exact same circuit board and air core as the Grand Am Quad 4 tach.. but more than one resistor value is different. D'oh!
http://www.autosoftsys.com/supra/tachcompare/
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

I still wonder how you found that out?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

It was hidden among the google search results for T2685A
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Whoa. Red pill, take the red pill.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I haven't bothered to look at '88 Grand Ams... why do you want that instrument cluster? Just the higher redline on the tach face?

Now retrofitting the Sunbird tach with built in boost gauge is a tach swap that's cool...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I haven't bothered to look at '88 Grand Ams... why do you want that instrument cluster? Just the higher redline on the tach face?

Now retrofitting the Sunbird tach with built in boost gauge is a tach swap that's cool...
yeah but those tachs are hard to find - so i replaced my stock rally gauges with boost/af/volt - and got the tack from an 85gt (backlit tack with oil pressure needle included)

planning to make a new backlit face for it to up the redline - just like i do for the speedo when i convert it to a 150mph from 85
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Higher redline, more modern font (the Fiero clusters look toyish to me), I like the needles better, aux gauges are integrated into the cluster, and full custom dashboards look STUPID with the stock Fiero cluster (I'm making a fiberglass dash).

I don't like the Sunbird tach. It looks just like the Fiero tach and has a useless boost gauge; even if I had a turbo. That thing is notoriously inaccurate.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Still trying to figure this out..
can anyone find a datasheet for the T2685A?