Fuel Cell for Lemons/Chump

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

mimtbr

Fuel Cell for Lemons/Chump

Post by mimtbr »

Gents,
Fuel cell.
22gal in the front of a fiero. Looks like I could do only the plastic bladder as it's separated from the drivers's compartment via a metal firewall. There is debate about this as it would not be protected from puncture.
So, most of the 22gal are Length (in): 25.000 in., Width (in): 16.750 in., Height (in): 13.750 in.
Anyone attempt this? Thoughts? This purchase represents a large portion of cost of the build, so kind of want to be sure before doing it....
Also concerned it will hit the insanely huge brake booster...
Was thinking this, Fuel Safe EED122B
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Fuel Cell for Lemons/Chump

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

why not run a 10 gallon, and run a tube(s)/braided hose or whatnot from that to the stock gas tank. that will get you about 20 gallons.

This one looks like it might even fit where the spare tire goes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-GALLON-POLIS ... 1220888534

this one is a little cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Gallon-RCI-F ... 1735596017
mimtbr

Post by mimtbr »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:why not run a 10 gallon, and run a tube(s)/braided hose or whatnot from that to the stock gas tank. that will get you about 20 gallons.
I thought about that.
Downsides:
1. The dia. of pipe would need to be big to feed the stock tank. Requiring modifications to the stock tank and cell. Otherwise, fast filling would be and issue? Vent both stock and cell?
2. I figured the organizers would look down on this from a safety standpoint. two tanks connected vs. one cell. Two vents.

Has Anyone done this?
The PPG fiero pacecar
http://images.fieroforum.com/pffimages/fuel_cell.jpg
Last edited by mimtbr on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

mimtbr wrote: I thought about that.
Downsides:
1. The dia. of pipe would need to be big to feed the stock tank. Requiring modifications to the stock tank and cell. Otherwise, fast filling would be and issue? Vent both stock and cell?
2. I figured the organizers would look down on this from a safety standpoint. two tanks connected vs. one cell. Two vents.

Has Anyone done this?
The PPG fiero pacecar
Old Europe pics don't show up here. just post the jpeg link and we can click it. Cliffy blocks his pics to this site cause he is a child.

Check your rules first, but if you have dual -10 hose, which is 5/8th ID that will equal a nearly 1 inch hose. could it cause fast filling issues? possibly. I guess it depends how fast you are trying to pour fuel in. Faster than a gas station? Don't know, either way it can be modified to larger line. Remove the spare tire holder and it might be clearer how you could run the line. Yes the stock tank would need to be modified but you are building a lemons car so fabrication is already needed in many places.

If the cell is mounted at the same height as factory, then one vent is needed. if the cell is mounted higher, then just a single vent from the cell is needed, the factory one can be closed off, cause its no longer the high point in the system.

You can probably take your pic of where to fill from. If the top of the fuel cell is lower than the top of the stock fill tube, you could still fill from the stock fill tube.

I had the idea of doing this with a 2.5-5 gallon cell in the front to give me a few more miles range when taking long cruises. My fiero doesn't do that anymore as its mainly an around town putzer so I don't worry about it anymore. 15 miles in a day is a lot now.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

mimtbr wrote: as it's separated from the drivers's compartment via a metal firewall.
This is not correct.
Remove the plastic HVAC equipment and you'll find a great big hole in the firewall.
If you're going to remove that and weld the opening up, disregard my last.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

Chump Car rules only allow +2 gallons last I knew, and they have a caveat for small 2 seat cars that have no safe spot for fuels cells,they can be enclosed in a redundant metal box inside the cab.
car.