3800sc oiling problem

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Lou and Blue

3800sc oiling problem

Post by Lou and Blue »

I removed both valve covers and ran the engine to find that my loud tapping valve train noise is due to this:

Trunk side rocker bank getting oil nicely, even squirting when revved a bit, lifters feel hard like they are full of oil.(when pushing down on the pushrods)
Firewall side rocker bank completely dry, no oil even at high rev. Lifters feel springy like they are empty. (When oushing down on the pushrods.)

Some freinds have suggested oil galley plugs that may have fallen out.
Lany other ideas as to why the firewall side lifters arent getting any oil ?

Lifters were rplaced with new when i replaced the lim gasket, pushrods are now new all around.
Front timing cover was never removed (by me anyway)
Rear main plate was removed when i changed the rear main seal.
I never heard the engine run till i put it in my fiero, it has been making this sound since my first start up.

This is what i get for buying a mystery engine. :-o
Lou and Blue

Re: 3800sc oiling problem

Post by Lou and Blue »

I am being told that if input the rear main seal cover plate gasket on backwards , it could cause unilateral oiling and starve oil to one side of the lifter valley. It still doesn't explain how the noise silenced with rislone and returned in the next drive with the rislone.
Before I yank the motor out and remove the tranny and all, I'm thinking of flushing the crAnkcase with a mix of ATF and lacquer thinner. Anyone have experience with that? I'm thinking clogged oil passage over incorrect gasket orientation due to the momentary silencing that occurred.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've poured a gallon or two of kerosene through engines during oil changes. I've never started one with kerosene in the sump, though, which is what would be necessary to unplug a clogged oil passage. Theoretically it should be fine as long as you don't spin it too fast for the film strength of kerosene/ATF/Gunk
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

I will be running and driving the car with 2Q 30-50 W oil ., 2 Q ATF, and 1Q acetone. I will run it under load for a few miles (~30miles) and then doing an oil change . I am hopin the rattlin will silence on my drive and stay silenced after the oil change.
Keep those fingers crossed guys !!!!!
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

I did the 2quart 40weigjht oil, 2 quart ATF (pennzoil brand) and 1 quart acetone motor flush today and drove the car about 7 miles with it in the engine. Sad to say the tapping noise did not go away .
I then did an oil change and the atf /oil/acetone mix came out red and clear. I put in 10w40, mobil regular .
I then installed a mechanical gauge and i have 60 psi at idle and higher when revved.
The gauge on the dashboard reads exactly the same as the mechanical gauge.

Dropping the cradle to check and change the rear main seal cover gasket will probably have to wait until spring. I have no garage. Just an open driveway.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sorry to hear that.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

I will be pulling the motor back out and replacing the rear Main seal cover Plate gasket. At this point I hope it IS installed backwards so that I know what went wrong that is starving the right side lifters of oil.
Does anyone have experince/knowledge of the rear main cover Plate gasket being installed backwards ? Any pics of the gasket and or block under the gasket is appreciated.
Thanks , ill be sure to update when (if) I get this solved.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Looking at this rear cover gasket i just dont see how it could be put on backwards. everything is symmetrical hole wize, except for what looks like the balance shaft oil hole.
http://zzperformance.com/38...ar-cover-gasket.html
If my rear cover gasket isnt instslled backeards, what else could be starving the right side lifters of oil?
Ryan says to install the gasket on the cover both ways and only one way will allow the oil passages to be clear, does anyone have a rear cover they can snap some photos of and send me?

Thanks!

I am hesitating pulling the engine back out but i guess if acetone didnt clear the passages ill have to physically clear them out.

------------
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Found this thread but im still confused on which way the gasket is supposed to go.

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/bottom-end ... ation.html

Any help or Pics of the rear cover Plate is appreciated!!