BUSTED Bolts in front Frame

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Identity Crisis

BUSTED Bolts in front Frame

Post by Identity Crisis »

Suggestions please.

When removing my front end components, a total of 3 bolts broke off. All three mount the front cross member to the frame. (DAMN)

Well after going through three sets of reverse outs and one set that was $80 guaranteed to work that broke off in the bolt I am at the point of getting out the torch and burning them out. Crappy part is the mounting nut may get damaged as well.

Anyone have thoughts on what I can try before I need to rebuild the front frame?

Thanks.
2015 Dodge Journey RT Rally AWD
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix STE
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: BUSTED Bolts in front Frame

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Turn a drill bushing on a lathe and drill them out. The hole in the outermost layer of the metal is significantly larger than the bolt, making an almost ideal situation in which to use a drill bushing to keep the drill square and centered, then just drill the bolt out.

Start with 1/8" or so pilot, then drill out to 21/64 or so, taking several steps along the way. Use left handed bits to aid in the extraction of the shell when it gets really thin.

Be prepared to helicoil the holes when you're done.

You might also try drilling a small hole in one wall of the frame rail and using the little bitty straw that comes with the penetration oil can to deliver some penetrating oil to the TOP of the frame nut.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: BUSTED Bolts in front Frame

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Accidentally dug up the drill bushing I made to assist with drilling out the one bolt of mine that broke in the weld nut inside the frame rail.

The base stock is 1" drill rod. The shoulder diameter is 0.615" and the through hole ended up at 0.410", which is the tap drill diameter for the 10x1.5 STI tap required to install a helicoil.