ZR1 corvette Steering Rack swap

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

4thfiero

ZR1 corvette Steering Rack swap

Post by 4thfiero »

Hey guys, i believe my 88 steering rack is starting to go....tends to 'catch' when making bigger turns. I wanna do the ZR1 power steering rack swap. Just wondering what I need to get/expect....So far i know i need....

zr1 rack

power steering pump for my 2.4 ecotec engine

Custom lines to run from the pump to my rack

What im not sure about....

- adapter to mount the zr1 rack on my front crossmember?

- adapter for tie rods connecting to the rack?

Am i missing anything else? im having my tuner shop do the work, so i wanna make sure i give them everything they need for a smooth swap. Thanks in advance!

Adam
4thfiero

Re: ZR1 corvette Steering Rack swap

Post by 4thfiero »

Also...just a question....regarding WS6 packages and the steering rack....did ALL 88 GT'S have the "quicker" ws6 steering rack? or was that an option, and 88 Fiero gt's had 2 steering rack options...a normal one and a ws6 'quicker ratio" one?

A parts store found me a used (but tested 88 Fiero steering rack) the program they use showed 2 options...the rack...or the rack with ws6 package...but there program might be wrong, just trying to find the facts.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: ZR1 corvette Steering Rack swap

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series 8217 did it. I think some of his efforts are written down in this thread: phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17050