Engineering degrees

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

Engineering degrees

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm contemplating starting to work towards and engineering degree, I know some of you have actual engineering experience, do you have any advice? I think I would probably go for civil or mechanical engineering.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Engineering degrees

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Getting a USEFUL degree is something that can dramatically improve your employability after leaving the service.

Electrical, electronics, and/or computer engineering are likely more broadly applicable disciplines going forward. The electronics market is growing much more rapidly than any markets for mechanically engineered products.

Software development has skyrocketed in prevalence, so computer science is another one with a good future in a growth industry.

My undergrad is in Physics and my MS is in Systems Engineering. I get to work on cool stuff in the aerospace industry, but in terms of size, the industry is niche and not a significant growth area.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

I work in Mechanical Engineering, with my BSME. I work at a dynamometer manufacturer, and have worked at a few other manufacturers of engine powered equipment.

Electrical Engineering is in high demand, with experience in programming PCB design, testing, and programming.
In my area, I never struggle to find opportunities for employment, however most manufacturers have more positions for mechanical engineers and design technicians. Even in Mechanical Engineering, if you can program a PLC or use Lab View, hell even design a simple DC circuit, you are ahead of the game. Wherever you find yourself drawn to, pursue it and find ways to excel. The engineering field has lots of opportunities in the manufacturing world and beyond to apply the knowledge learned in school.
If you want to pursue design work (what I do), find a small company that makes stuff you like and get in. Or stick it through in school to your masters if you want to do advanced design work at a large company.
car.
draven

Post by draven »

Having a BS in Computer Science for just over 20 years has definitely kept me challenged and never without a well paying job.

Also, might want to look into a Mechatronics degree as well...sort of a fusion of electrical, mechanical, computer, systems, and software...
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

draven wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:46 pm Also, might want to look into a Mechatronics degree as well...sort of a fusion of electrical, mechanical, computer, systems, and software...
This.

The biggest challenge is overcoming older HR personnel and managers who have little experience with what this relatively new field of study includes, and what a person whose mastered it is capable of.
car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

FieroWanaBe1 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 pm
draven wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:46 pm Also, might want to look into a Mechatronics degree as well...sort of a fusion of electrical, mechanical, computer, systems, and software...
This.

The biggest challenge is overcoming older HR personnel and managers who have little experience with what this relatively new field of study includes, and what a person whose mastered it is capable of.
I think Series8217 has a similar degree (Cybernetics?). P8ntman442 has an electro-mechanical engineering degree, although he hasn't posted here in years.

Indy has an aerospace or mechanical engineering degree.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Thanks for the inputs, I think I would prefer to get a degree that is mechanical/structural in nature, mainly because it's something I think that I am already ok at. That being said, I like the idea of Mechatronics, I feel like I could do fairly well at it.

Where did you guys go to school? any thing in particular that you would look for in a school?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Are you considering a degree in association with a commissioning program? Coming out of school with no debt and a guaranteed job was quite nice in 2001, probably much more so now.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm not interested in staying in the navy without a commission, but I'm not interested in a degree for one either. I feel like current employment/training makes me very employable after the navy, but if I can use tuition assistance while I'm in, and work towards an engineering degree, it will only make my resume that much better.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

You can always go reserves and continue school full time, this is the route I took. Good pay from multiple sources, TA, GI Bill (post 9-11), and Drill Pay. Plus you gain years in service for a retirement check that is pretty much guaranteed.
car.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I've definitely been considering the reserves, if nothing else it covers healthcare, which is a big plus nowadays.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:39 pm I'm not interested in staying in the navy without a commission, but I'm not interested in a degree for one either. I feel like current employment/training makes me very employable after the navy, but if I can use tuition assistance while I'm in, and work towards an engineering degree, it will only make my resume that much better.
I don't get it... you want a degree, but not for a commission?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

If I stay in the navy, then sure, but I'm not planning on staying in. I would like to utilize the opportunities available to me while in, to get a degree, which would make me more desirable than just my navy training.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

ericjon262 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm I've definitely been considering the reserves, if nothing else it covers healthcare, which is a big plus nowadays.
Tricare-RS is miles better, and cheaper than any of the Obamacare compliant HDHPs or my employers have offered me.
car.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a BS in Aerospace Engineering. I get to work on a lot of pretty cool things inside the industry, but outside scope and applicability is somewhat limited. If you're interested in structures, I think an AE degree may give you the best understanding of that. As Will suggested, software and computer science is where the big growth will be. There is a serious amount of work that can be done in nearly any niche industry with that knowledge.

My further education is going to be invested in computer science/programming and materials science. Computer science for further personal and professional flexibility, and the materials since a large part of my job is materials research oriented.

For background, I work here:
https://www.niar.wichita.edu/researchla ... erview.asp
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I have a degree in Cybernetics, which is basically applied math / biology / statistics / computer science / electrical engineering. I usually have a title of Systems Engineer but the actual work is a mix of software development, mechatronics, and systems engineering. I have a bit of a background in mechanical engineering from self study and learning on the job from colleagues.

With a broad engineering background plus some focus in at least one technical field, you'll be able to find employment anywhere. For example, if you get an ME degree, make sure to mix in some EE and software. If EE, add some of the other two. This helps you stand out, and you're more likely to succeed in creative problem solving where you can bring in tools from alternative and sometimes unconventional disciplines. The breadth also helps you communicate with your differently-disciplined teammates.