brazing stainless?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

brazing stainless?

Post by ericjon262 »

anyone on here ever braze stainless steel, or have any info on strength and durability?

I'm thinking about taking my 3500 fuel rail (stainless) and brazing a fitting to it to make it a return style setup instead of returnless. the end goal is two fold, my current fuel rail is aluminum, which doesn't play well with E85, and I think I can package the stainless rail better than the aluminum rail.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: brazing stainless?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You can probably package it even better by mounting your regulator to the firewall or strut tower and running the return line from there...

I haven't brazed stainless. I bet it needs a specific brazing rod, but then should be the same as brazing anything else.

Having had a bunch of aluminum welding done for The Mule's A/C system, next time I have a build like that, I'll braze all the joints... so much less hassle.
neophile_17

Re: brazing stainless?

Post by neophile_17 »

You could definitely do it with silicon-bronze but as Will pointed out there's an easier way. Pairing the stock rail with the C5 vette fuel-filter/regulator is what I've been planning. I believe some have also used the fuel pressure test port as a return as well. Good luck!
85 GT LeMons Car LA1/LX9 Hybrid
85 SE LZ4 Pending...