the pig rig?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

ericjon262

Re: the pig rig?

Post by ericjon262 »

I snagged this bad boy pretty cheap, it's a mile marker SI12000, rated to 12000 pounds of line pull.

I don't like it sitting this high in the grill, or this high above the frame rail.

I made a piece of channel to mount it in out of some of the box steel I have.

then I drilled and notched it for the fairlead

here's the assembly on the bumper

next step was to cut a notch. the plasma cutter made short work of it.

initially, the tray overhung the front of the bumper by a large margin, so I notched the frame a bit so I could recess it some.

hard to tell by the pictures, but it made a big difference.

then I test fit the whole thing.

I also started trying to drive it as much as possible, to work out any little problems while I'm still close to home.

I pulled the whole bumper back off, added some angle stubs to the ends to contour the truck a little better, and capped off the ends of the tubes. I also capped off the fairlead mount, and added a gusset. can't forget the custom paint either!

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

it would also be a shame to do all this work and not live a life of luxury on the road...

some frosty pipes in the engine compartment!

I also went ahead and installed my 40 gallon fuel tank and skid plate:

From empty on the gauge I have about 7 gallons left in tank.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Killin' it, man! It's coming together.
Plasma cutters are awesome. So are welders.
Didn't shoot any paint on the 40 gal tank?
For a sec I thought your thermal image said "350 F".
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Nah, no paint on the tank, I wanted to, and if I had dug it out of the garage earlier, I would have, but otherwise I didn't really have time.

The AC appears to be working fine, but the ventilation ducts and diverters aren't, it just slowly blows out from everywhere. I need to troubleshoot it but I am not sure I will until I get back.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You were in FL, then SC... I thought you were PCSing out west, but your front yard looks like SC/FL dirt.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 am You were in FL, then SC... I thought you were PCSing out west, but your front yard looks like SC/FL dirt.
I am out west, all the way up in Bremerton, WA. the yard is full of rocks, and the previous owners bullshit... I have dug several hundred pounds of "river rock" out of it that someone thought made for nice landscaping, along with all sorts of other literal garbage that they buried. :crazy:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, life happens, and I haven't updated anyone on whats really been going on.

crummy pics, sorry...

on the night of the morning of June 26th(morning being 2:00 am...) I was on the way home from picking my dad up at the airport for the Alaska trip, and then disaster. I looked into my side view mirror, just in time to see rapidly approaching headlights with just about enough time to say holy F**K before a drunk nailed the rear bumper and began pushing his way up the entire side of the truck, no driver's side panel was spared from damage. cops came, arrested the POS drunk, and dad and I finally got home around 4 am, tired, angry, and a bit frustrated, I downed a beer called my insurance company, and went to bed. about 2 hours later, the adjuster calls and asks if he can swing by that day, which worked out better for my dad and I because we were planning on leaving one way or another, for Alaska the following day. the adjuster showed up, started looking at the truck and kept saying he thought it was in excellent shape, but, would almost definitely be totaled. this was not at all unexpected, but still, hearing it was a major bummer.

at this point, dad and I have 3 options,

1: take my 06 2500hd to Alaska instead, I needed to put the shell back on, and do a ton of last minute maintenance, I've neglected it a bit in favor of fixing the Pig Rig for the trip.

2: don't go to Alaska, there are bunches of cool places to go closer to home. but, I already spent a ton of money on a ferry.

3: F**k it, take the Pig Rig to Alaska anyways.

after about 45 minutes of debate, and attempting to beat the bumper back to at least halfway straight. we chose option 3! we loaded the truck, with gear, and took off!

the first leg of the trip, we had to cannonball a bit, I had the a ferry booked, that left Port Hardy on the 29th, and the booking slip says be there two hours early, so, 5 am... we hauled all the way up to Port Angels, WA, and picked up a ferry to Victoria, BC. We then drove the length of Vancouver Island, all the way to Port Hardy for the ferry.

in Port Angels/ferry

Pig on a ferry

into Canada

the sign at the Bear Cove Ferry terminal

The next Ferry

Me and the truck in the ferry

From the ferry

Camping spot in Prince Rupert, BC

Thats all for tonight, I'll upload some more over the next few days.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Found this neat lava flow!

at the end of the Lava flow, was a very narrow wooden bridge, probably only a few feet wider than the truck!

And our first dirt road!

More to come!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Looks like quite an adventure!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 pm Looks like quite an adventure!
it really was!

My sister made us this awesome dehydrated chili!, add some water and/or beer, let it soak for about 30 mins, heat and eat! Super good, and very hardy! the stuffed pigs "piggles and wiggles" had their picture taken all over the place for my 3 nieces.

next morning, we saw our first (and only) Grizzly bear. I actually drove past him, turned around, and came back to get these pictures. he didn't have a care in the world about us being anywhere near him, but I wasn't going to get out of the truck and try my luck...

some on the road shots near destruction bay IIRC.

The next day, we again crossed the border, this time into Alaska, the crossing was cool, marked as far as the eye can see.

the next day we checked out Eklutna lake and Thunderbird falls

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

We drove down to Homer Spit, which looked really cool in the pictures, and it was a pretty awesome drive, but when we got there, it was absolutely packed with people, so we rolled on. it's a shame, because the ongoing forest fires greatly reduced visibility.

I thought these were kinda cool for bridge railing. they were somewhere in Anchorage

Road pics on the way to Homer

you can see a little snow still clinging to life...

it's a real shame how poorly the depth and color shows in the pictures...

on Homer Spit, we didn't end up with a ton of pictures, it was a nightmare trying to navigate the place because there were so many people around. I'm hoping the go-pro I had on the dash caught some good shots.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

We left the Spit, kinda disappointed, but on the way back north, I saw a small trail with a sign that said "Daytime use only" (like there's any other kind of time in Alaska in the summer!) I pulled over to check it out, and there was a neat foot trail that led to a rocky beach.

driving up from homer, I saw my oil pressure gauge go to zero pulling up to a stop, I immediately turned the truck off an pulled over, I popped the hood, and check the oil level, and it was about 1/4 of a quart low, but nowhere near low enough to cause issue. I looked around very carefully, and noticed an oil drip near the oil pressure sending unit. I restarted the truck, and it dripped a little bit quicker, but nothing insanely crazy and it wasn't making any of the typical SBC without oil noises, I gave it some thought, and decided to roll on it until I could get a new sender. about an hour or two later I was able to get a new sender at the parts store, and decided I would change it after camping for the night so I didn't burn myself on the exhaust. little did I know, the fitting is metric, and my metric wrenched somehow didn't make it into the truck with us... DOH! of course an adjustable doesn't fit, and the sender is not wanting to come free at all for some reason. after an hour or two of laying under the truck on gravel, I decided to just deal with it when I had all the right tools to fix it if my attempts broke it worse.

on the road north that's all smoke, no rain...

Campsite:

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

our campsite was somewhere north of Cooper Landing, and south of Anchorage, there was really only one way to go from there, and that was to continue north. we blasted through anchorage, and headed towards Palmer. anytime I plan a trip like this, I like to use paper road maps instead of google maps, they tend to show you things you wouldn't otherwise see, like Willow-Fishhook rd through hatcher pass.

Eventually, we found ourselves back on pavement near Willow, AK.

we continued north, and could see Mount Denali in the distance.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

continuing, still north, we headed towards Fairbanks.

both of us (Dad and I) were getting hungry and looking for a good spot to pull over and make lunch, while crossing over a river, I could see cars, trucks, and RV's on the bank and though it would be as good a place as any, so we pulled in.

Fire Department is well funded...

Continuing north, drove through fairbanks(yawn...) and kept going north, we had out sights set on a grand adventure!

finally, crossing the Yukon River.

but we weren't done yet! onward Pig!

and then we made our goal!

we took some times to stretch our legs before climbing back into the truck, there were several people there, bunches of guys on dual sport motorcycles, one of whom claimed it was his first trip on a bike and would have about 9000 miles in the seat at the conclusion! that's commitment!

There was also a very nice lady from Alaska Department of Natural Resources there, she gave us some "certificates" to prove we made it, it was pretty cool! If I end up back in Alaska I'll do it again for sure!
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful pictures.

Sometimes, with so many people in close proximity living in the states, it's nice to see thousands of acres without a human being on it. I like the picture where you say you wish the color depth was demonstrated because I see what you mean. Gorgeous wilderness, great family, and a great SUV.

Sorry to hear about the POS drunk. At least it was ready to drive 10k miles after the fight. :good:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:35 am Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful pictures.
Your welcome! I actually still have more, it takes a while trying to upload all of them.
Emc209i wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:35 am Sometimes, with so many people in close proximity living in the states, it's nice to see thousands of acres without a human being on it. I like the picture where you say you wish the color depth was demonstrated because I see what you mean. Gorgeous wilderness, great family, and a great SUV.
dude, if you ever get the chance, jump on it! I have to say, British Columbia is amazing, definitely the prettiest place we toured. the trip cost me a small fortune, but it was worth every penny 10 times over. I really wish there hadn't been so many wildfires along the route, I'm sure the pictures would be even better.
Emc209i wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:35 am Sorry to hear about the POS drunk. At least it was ready to drive 10k miles after the fight. :good:
Yeah, I'm trying to think on the bright side, the body of the truck was straight, but the more I worked on it, the more I see problems and issues from previous accidents, and poor past workmanship. so far, it sounds like the insurance company is being reasonable. and even though the truck is totaled, I will be keeping it. My current plan, is to find another truck, with a better body and frame, and swap the mechanical components i have onto it. Ideally, I'll find either a 1987-1991 Suburban, so that the parts are plug and play. but, I would also go for a 1967-1972 GMC Suburban, or a almost perfect 1987-1991 V30/V3500 crew cab SRW, or the perfect 1967-1972 GMC. I definitely prefer another Suburban over a truck, so a truck would have to be "The One"
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

We left the Arctic Circle and headed back south towards Fairbanks, and ended up camping southeast of Fairbanks.

we got up early, and continued east. and saw our first bull moose

and then a Cow with a calf.

we kept on, and took in the scenery.

we found a cool truss bridge, with a gravel bank alongside.

after a while, we ended up in Chicken, AK, a tiny little spot in the middle of nowhere! not much here, here's the rig in front of the "post office"!

next we continued onto the "Top of the World hwy"

we ended up camping along the hwy in a spot that looked like an old mining camp.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

we left there and continued on the top of the world hwy towards Canada.

The Hwy was mostly dirt, and we saw this off the woods, it was hard to see exactly what it was, some kind of old wagon.

crossing into Canada, and there was still a bit of snow left up there even in early July!

around the corner, we found a herd of caribou.

the Pig also got a chance to hit some snow! Lol...

we came across a gravel pit, and had to do a little "hill climb". I didn't want to go to crazy, because I was hundreds of miles from anything, and didn't have many spare parts if I broke something. didn't want to be totally screwed.

then we continued on.

we crossed the Yukon River into Dawson City another ferry.

Canadian beer... just say's "Pilsner" no brand, nothing, just " Pilsner". it wasn't bad, I've had way worse.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

leaving Dawson city, I spotted this cool old bread truck, I wish it was closer to home so I could try and pick it up...

then, heading south, we came up on a gnarly forest fire.

they were fighting it with helicopters, it was pretty cool to watch.

we ended up comping a south of Pelly Crossing

next morning, we headed towards Watson Lake, YT.

We came across these old log cabins, pretty cool sight.

we stopped for fuel, and the pump was super old school, with reels!

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

we rolled into Watson Lake, home of the world famous "Signpost Forest" I new about the place before the trip, but completely forgot to add it to a list of destinations.

The closest I could find to home was a Santa Rosa County License plate

Of course, because I forgot to put it on the list of destinations, I didn't have anything to make a sign with... I looked for a while for something, anything to make a sign with, I came up with 2 things to make a sign. I looked at the side of the truck and saw the "Silverado" badge, I then remembered the driver's side badge had been damaged in the wreck, so I got my hatchet, and scrapped the damaged emblem off, and then cut the side out of an old water jug, add a paint pen, and wala! sign for the forest! I used a screw from the dash to hold it onto a post.