Boost Creep. Enlighten me

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Indy

Post by Indy »

That's the other one I was thinking of. I don't think Inconel welds that nicely. Okay, I'm done.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Hey guys, I found a turbo for the 3800 that I want to use. It has the wastegate port on the exh side of the turbo, rather than to be mounted on the manifold. I'm lookin for input from perhaps howard or someone as to this design, vs putting it on the crossover..

thanks
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You mean it has an integral wastegate? or welded it onto the housing. . .

if its integrated its fine. if it is welded it depends. New turbos really arent that expensive man.

You know what I did see a little while back that was neat, it was a T4 sized flange spacer that had a flange on the side to place a deltagate style wastegate.
Jinxmutt wrote:Hey guys, I found a turbo for the 3800 that I want to use. It has the wastegate port on the exh side of the turbo, rather than to be mounted on the manifold. I'm lookin for input from perhaps howard or someone as to this design, vs putting it on the crossover..

thanks
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Howard, it wasn't an internal wastegate. The turbine had the wastegate flange 'cast' with the part. I'll have to look through my history to find the pages. I think it was about $260 for just the turbine housing with a .82 A/R...

This would make creating the crossover much easier as well....

Edit, found one on ebay...
ebay link
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Id have to see cross sectional drawings to tell you for sure what my opinion is regarding flow.

I will say this, cost and ease of install are the two reasons I would go with an integral style wastegate(and that is similar in style) and it looks to me like you arent getting either with that housing. You are going to have to weld a pipe for the dump tube (ease) and you are going to have to buy a wastegate (cost).

Having said that, if you are going to weld a dump tube for the external wastegate anyway which you will with that housing, how much more work is it really to also had a flange for the wastegate once you have the welder out? Maybe 10 minutes.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I saw this manifold and thought immediately of this thread:

it's from a champ car and as close to perfect as I've seen. As a side-note, notice the a-arms arent' carbon due to the global carbon fiber shortage.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

eHoward wrote:Id have to see cross sectional drawings to tell you for sure what my opinion is regarding flow.

I will say this, cost and ease of install are the two reasons I would go with an integral style wastegate(and that is similar in style) and it looks to me like you arent getting either with that housing. You are going to have to weld a pipe for the dump tube (ease) and you are going to have to buy a wastegate (cost).
I went integral for easy of setup and space savings.. new turbo with the 5bolt flang to accept an internal wastegate - then had to buy the wastegate housing - everywhere i could find it was almost 200$ for a new one - then i managed to snatch one off ebay that was listed incorrectly for 50$

and then i just won a decent sized intercooler http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 7987434460
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

eHoward wrote:due to the global carbon fiber shortage.
Huh?
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

So uh, who wants a stock tip?
Doug Chase wrote:
eHoward wrote:due to the global carbon fiber shortage.
Huh?
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

I can't tell if you're jesting or if you're serious.

Either way, that's a gorgeous header on that Champ car.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

PM sent.
Doug Chase wrote:I can't tell if you're jesting or if you're serious.

Either way, that's a gorgeous header on that Champ car.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Good god that is beautifull.

Fwap fwap fwap.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

that intake box is fascinating - trying to figure out what the other gadget are
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

The have the ECU mounted on it, as well as a BOV type thing that is mandated rules if I remember correctly.

Sweet setup.
Indy

Post by Indy »

teamlseep13 wrote:The have the ECU mounted on it, as well as a BOV type thing that is mandated rules if I remember correctly.

Sweet setup.
The big ass black BOV thing in the middle controls boost to keep teams from overboosting beyond a pressure set by the rules committee. Hell, they aren't even installed until race day, where it's overseen by officials, to keep teams from tampering with it. Heh, reminds me of an episode of CSI...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Check out the equal length headers.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You know, I didn't realize those were the same engines until today. Sometimes I'm slow. . :blah5:
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Indy wrote:
teamlseep13 wrote:The have the ECU mounted on it, as well as a BOV type thing that is mandated rules if I remember correctly.

Sweet setup.
The big ass black BOV thing in the middle controls boost to keep teams from overboosting beyond a pressure set by the rules committee. Hell, they aren't even installed until race day, where it's overseen by officials, to keep teams from tampering with it. Heh, reminds me of an episode of CSI...
Ya, thats what it was. To make sure no ones running more boost than the other. I do know that rules have their places, but I would love to see some more turbo v8 installed in full ground effects cars like back in the the eighties. Just imagine how much faster those cars would go with new tech and research. Oh well
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Check out the equal length headers.
Headers on race cars are probably the coolest, sexiest looking things. And its a great place to start if your gonna try and make some of your own headers, cause they have tuned the hell out of them to get the most power outta them possible.
I love the expansion bellows leading into the turbine. Very well designed exhaust setup.