Easiest way to drop an engine.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Fiero Savvy

Easiest way to drop an engine.

Post by Fiero Savvy »

Just bought an 86 GT. Got it for $100 to use mainly as a parts car.
Thing is, now that I have it, the only major problem with it is a possible rod bearing. (so Im told). Much knocking.
Anyway, now that I have it, Im thinking...why destroy it?

So, my question is, what is the easiest way to drop the engine.
Out the bottom, or up thru the top?
Pros or cons to either method?

Im no mechanic, and I know alot will suggest a swap, but funds are VERY limited. So I figured since the engine is blown anyway, I may as well try replacing the bearing myself.

Fiero Savvy (what a freaking misleading name)
eHoward
Banned

Re: Easiest way to drop an engine.

Post by eHoward »

I think it's the easiest to drop the cradle.

I haven't seen a good method for getting it out the top.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I always have taken the motor out the top. I never had a dolly or wanted to make one up. Plus I am able to move the car around if I have to with just the engine out which I have had to do both times I pulled the engine out the top. Actually I have done three jobs out the top but the third was my buddies in a huge garage so no need to have to move it.

I personally dont' find it hard to pull the engine out the top. However it might be more work overall then just dropping everything. I just like the option of rolling it around if the need arises.

if you are just going to slap a new set of bearings in it then you prob shouldnt' go through all the work of pulling it out.

I would jack up the engine and hold it from above with a cherry picker, then unbolt the pan from underneath. It sucks working on your back, but it shouldnt' take as long to do it this way.l Now if you are going to try and find a cheap replacement then of course you have to pull it.

You said you aren't a mechanic so if you have no tools I wouldnt' do anything and have someone else do it.

When you say funds are limited how much do you mean? $50? $100? $1000? If you have any good parts on the car, then sell them to get money to pay for someone to do it if you can't do it. THen when its done you will have a STage 3 lightening which will make it the most uber fast fiero ev4r You paid $100 for the car. I would hope that you could scrounge up some money to do the job right though. I dont' know why all Fiero owners are poor.
Fiero Savvy

Post by Fiero Savvy »

Thanks for the replies.
Poor? No. Just with a house payment, car payment, gas prices and my good GT that I keep trying to add stuff to, I (meaning my wifes feelings on this) just don't have a heck of alot of EXTRA money for "another car".
I probably have $500 to put into the repair right now.

Actually, I am not completely inept. I have repleced an oil pickup tube on my 86. But have never dealt with the internal workings of an engine.
Like I said, I got it as a parts car. Figured I could easily make back the $100 on the side scoops alone.
Now I just don't want to part with it.

And YES...The previous owner put large 70's on the wheels.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

That looks like an awesome buy.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Pending on where you live, I am sure there are members of old Europe who have extra good engines. I see them for sale all the time for $500 or less and in good running condition. yea they might have some miles on them but hell you could have it shipped, or go pick it up if its close.

For a little more then $500 you could prob have a nice decent Fiero and then flip it for like $2500.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I personally dont' find it hard to pull the engine out the top. However it might be more work overall then just dropping everything. I just like the option of rolling it around if the need arises.
With the engine off the cradle it takes just a few minutes to put the cradle it back in the car with the tranny and axles so you can roll it around. This is what I do. I'm not sure my motor would even fit out the top though.
Others have made large dollies that fit under the rear end of the car so it can be dropped on top of that and rolled around after the cradle is out.
S8n

Re: Easiest way to drop an engine.

Post by S8n »

Fiero Savvy wrote:
So, my question is, what is the easiest way to drop the engine.
Just let go of it. :angel:
Sory, I had to do it. Flame away. :cussing:
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

It won't help you much, but I did see an engine removed from a donor car with the help of a fucking CATEPILLAR FORKLIFT! Not one of those wimpy things you see rolling around Costco, but a big tractor with a forklift attatchment on the arm. They rolled the car on its side, the guy pulled the cradle bolts, then they picked up the car and shook it till the engine came out and fell in the mud. Did I mention that this is the 3.4L DOHC motor that's on it's way to being installed in my car? Thank God it's been rebuilt... Now that's ghetto mechanics for ya. :afrocool:

I can (almost) guarantee you'll NEVER see an engine removed any faster...
Fiero Savvy

Post by Fiero Savvy »

I would have paid money to see that.....
S8n

Post by S8n »

Blue Shift wrote:It won't help you much, but I did see an engine removed from a donor car with the help of a fucking CATEPILLAR FORKLIFT! Not one of those wimpy things you see rolling around Costco, but a big tractor with a forklift attatchment on the arm. They rolled the car on its side, the guy pulled the cradle bolts, then they picked up the car and shook it till the engine came out and fell in the mud. Did I mention that this is the 3.4L DOHC motor that's on it's way to being installed in my car? Thank God it's been rebuilt... Now that's ghetto mechanics for ya. :afrocool:

I can (almost) guarantee you'll NEVER see an engine removed any faster...
That's pretty funny stuff. I had to use a forklift to get an M5 motor off and on the front suspension (drop out the front subframe onto a table) the cherry picker wouldn't go high enough...But nothing like turning the car on its side...that's ghetto
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls