water/meth injection

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

pmbrunelle

Re: water/meth injection

Post by pmbrunelle »

Also if you consider cutting/welding your turbo compressor cover, that may open some options...

For instance, maybe you could orient the discharge with a more convenient angle.

What about putting a flange on the compressor cover, and flange on the intercooler, and bolting the two directly to each other?

Or even a V-band connection?

It looks like a large chunk of the difficulty arises from the space requirement of the silicone coupling.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:58 am Also if you consider cutting/welding your turbo compressor cover, that may open some options...

For instance, maybe you could orient the discharge with a more convenient angle.

What about putting a flange on the compressor cover, and flange on the intercooler, and bolting the two directly to each other?

Or even a V-band connection?

It looks like a large chunk of the difficulty arises from the space requirement of the silicone coupling.
it may look like it's taking up a ton of space, but it's actually quite compact. The charge pipe almost touches the compressor housing. Another benefit to the silicone, is that it adapts from the 2.5" discharge, to the 3" charge pipe, all the while allowing for a small amount of flex between the pipe and the turbo. Once I have the engine back in the car (hopefully by the middle of next week) I'll test fit a few other ideas, but I think for now I'm just going to run the charge pipe and get it running.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

On the subject of IAT sensors:

https://www.motionraceworks.com/product ... pt-52-1243

An acquaintance recently got a couple of these to try out. Supposedly a significant improvement in response.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I'll have to research to see if that sensor can be calibrated for a megasquirt
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Honest Don wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:30 pm On the subject of IAT sensors:

An acquaintance recently got a couple of these to try out. Supposedly a significant improvement in response.
Ooooh... Snazzy. Of course, so is the price, but mass-production of advanced electronic assemblies spoils us.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Honest Don wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:30 pm On the subject of IAT sensors:

I was thinking about the slow response of the temp sensors the other day and was wondering if something like this existed. It's low on my priority list, but it's nice to know it does exist!

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:43 am I'll have to research to see if that sensor can be calibrated for a megasquirt
I see no reason why not. you can calibrate the sensors for any values you want.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

Quicker than GM I guess (22 deg F higher than GM), but still not fast enough for direct use in an air mass calculation.

Good be a good tool for datalogging / human analysis.

Calculated temperature based on pressure ratio: poor absolute accuracy, but very fast
Measured temperature from post-turbo sensor: good long-term accuracy, slow response

I think that a good ECU should blend the two temperature estimations to obtain a signal combining the best attributes of each method.

Here is some MS2 source code for a temperature computation based on a pre-turbo sensor:

Original:
https://www.fieromontreal.com/index.php ... 1#msg17531

Translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 23msg17531

I never ran this with a turbo, so I just share it for discussion purposes only.