Bluetooth Upgrade

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

eHoward
Banned

Bluetooth Upgrade

Post by eHoward »

I recently added Bluetooth to a factory style 1.5 din stereo. I used one of these boxes that plugs in through the antenna port and then you switch the radio to a specfiic station you can choose through a phone app. It was about $100. Now I can run my spotify :-).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRU5UNA?th=1

My goals were to hide auxilary in a way as to not attract attention from theives and to get some tunes. I took the antena off the car a while ago and had been driving around since without any music.

I'm pretty happy with the bluetooth box in general although I do not use terestrial radio so I'm not sure if that is affected. It syncs pretty quick and doesn't make background noise. It really is much better than the old RF modulators I had ran in the early days of iPhones. This sounds like a clear FM channel.

I'm using old but upgraded 4X10s up front and blown out 4X6s in the rear with a bare bones Delco radio. My Audi has Bang and Olufsen, I've done aftermarket stereo in other vehicles, so I have a reference of quality and I'm not delusional about what this is, but it sounds good for what it is. When we took the car out to a swap meet and car show this morning my wife even commented it was a pretty good upgrade and she hates the car I think more than anything else I can recall on the planet.
eHoward
Banned

Re: Bluetooth Upgrade

Post by eHoward »

I didn’t document this well, but I think it is worth passing on.
The box
The box
00630822-B2A3-4E7C-B5F6-563EE1BACD7A.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1165 times
The box.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Stealthyish install:
134B3437-BBC8-4BC9-883D-1B167765A7CE.jpeg
134B3437-BBC8-4BC9-883D-1B167765A7CE.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 1165 times
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

C9240517-2F96-4BBD-AD98-ACB41A0B3884.jpeg
C9240517-2F96-4BBD-AD98-ACB41A0B3884.jpeg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 1165 times
The vettes followed me.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That's pretty cool. Didn't know about that tech. Then again, my radio is out of the car
Saved 6 lbs. My speakers were terrible anyways. So I removed those as well.

Interesting tech though and that radio is so basic noone will think of taking it
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

eHoward wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:38 pm she hates the car I think more than anything else I can recall on the planet.
This is The Way.
eHoward wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:38 pm I recently added Bluetooth to a factory style 1.5 din stereo. I used one of these boxes that plugs in through the antenna port and then you switch the radio to a specfiic station you can choose through a phone app. It was about $100. Now I can run my spotify :-).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRU5UNA?th=1

My goals were to hide auxilary in a way as to not attract attention from theives and to get some tunes. I took the antena off the car a while ago and had been driving around since without any music.

I'm pretty happy with the bluetooth box in general although I do not use terestrial radio so I'm not sure if that is affected. It syncs pretty quick and doesn't make background noise. It really is much better than the old RF modulators I had ran in the early days of iPhones. This sounds like a clear FM channel.

I'm using old but upgraded 4X10s up front and blown out 4X6s in the rear with a bare bones Delco radio. My Audi has Bang and Olufsen, I've done aftermarket stereo in other vehicles, so I have a reference of quality and I'm not delusional about what this is, but it sounds good for what it is.
Cool install! I've been thinking about bluetooth aux devices, since all of my vehicles are too old to have factory aux inputs.

I think I have the speakers around and only need to make adapter plates at this point. I'm going to replace the blown 4x10's in the Storm Trooper with 5.25" and 4.5" speakers, one of each in each factory location, possibly with a tweeter as well. A single 5.25 in each B-pillar location may work.

The Mule will have a Cadillac sound system, and the last time I had it running a would-be thief would look into it and think "Dam, somebody already stole this..."
draven

Post by draven »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:47 am
eHoward wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:38 pm she hates the car I think more than anything else I can recall on the planet.
This is The Way.
That ,sir.....was funny...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

draven wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:08 pm
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:47 am
This is The Way.
That ,sir.....was funny...
:wink:
eHoward wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:53 pm C9240517-2F96-4BBD-AD98-ACB41A0B3884.jpeg
The vettes followed me.
Car looks great!
Big & Littles too!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

car looks great, and i dig the upgrade, it's slick enough that only a very sharp eye would notice it isn't a stock radio. I may have to look into that for my car.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

Reminds me of setting the TV to channel 3 to watch the VCR!

Cellphone tech goes obsolete pretty quickly; the nice thing about the RF interface is that when Bluetooth is kicked out in favour of something else, you'll be able to install the next box in the same manner.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Thanks for the complements on the car. It’s my 3rd fiero, I bought it as an excuse to take a road trip out west about a year ago during the pandemic to pick it up, and easily it’s received the most attention (and all of it positive) of any car I’ve ever owned. It’s not close to perfect and I kind of like that so I don’t have to worry so much about it but every time I take the car out, wherever I park someone wants to chat or look at it.