RFT Mobile Headquarters: 1973 GMC Motorhome

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: RFT Mobile Headquarters: 1973 GMC Motorhome

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 am The only evidence of water entry is right around the access door, due to the body sagging that results in The Gap(TM).
I've seen pictorials of fixing The Gap by using come-alongs to the opposite edge of the floor and gluing/screwing the lateral panel to the door frame.
Being me, I'm wondering about lasering or water jetting a piece of 1/8" aluminum the same shape as the curve of the faux wood panel to make a more permanent fix. Instead of the whole panel, I could make a rim around the doorframe to keep it in the correct shape. Airplanes and boats have that sort of treatment around their doorframes.
LOL! I'm thinking about this too much. We could fab up a frame that would bolt to the vehicle frame and have a projection that would rise up just outside the doorframe. From that projection, some type of jack would push the doorframe back into place, at which point one of a variety of methods could be used to ensure it retains its shape.

The aforementioned method of pulling relative to the body mounts requires disassembling a lot of the interior.

EDIT: With the fixture and jack in existence, we could rent the tool out to those who need to fix their The Gap(TM) along with selling the laser cuttings to install to maintain the shape of the door
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:20 am
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 am The only evidence of water entry is right around the access door, due to the body sagging that results in The Gap(TM).
I've seen pictorials of fixing The Gap by using come-alongs to the opposite edge of the floor and gluing/screwing the lateral panel to the door frame.
Being me, I'm wondering about lasering or water jetting a piece of 1/8" aluminum the same shape as the curve of the faux wood panel to make a more permanent fix. Instead of the whole panel, I could make a rim around the doorframe to keep it in the correct shape. Airplanes and boats have that sort of treatment around their doorframes.
LOL! I'm thinking about this too much. We could fab up a frame that would bolt to the vehicle frame and have a projection that would rise up just outside the doorframe. From that projection, some type of jack would push the doorframe back into place, at which point one of a variety of methods could be used to ensure it retains its shape.

The aforementioned method of pulling relative to the body mounts requires disassembling a lot of the interior.

EDIT: With the fixture and jack in existence, we could rent the tool out to those who need to fix their The Gap(TM) along with selling the laser cuttings to install to maintain the shape of the door
Since it looks like The Gap is due to the body sagging, the simpler solution may be to (permanently?) install stanchions to push the roof back up into place and reinforce the door frame to maintain its shape.

The rig finally got towed to my dad's house. I have drill this weekend, but should be back there on the 17th or so.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

There were a dozen or more different floor plans for the Motorhomes. The name of the floorplan became the "model". It's common to refer to them just by the length and floorplan, like "'76 26 ft Royale" (not with cheese). This is a beautiful example of what one of these vehicles *CAN* be, when well-looked-after:

https://www.gmcrvforsale.com/1976-royal ... escott-az/

$30k is NOT A BAD PRICE AT ALL for a motorhome in that size class in that condition.

Shaun would appreciate that the Royale has the largest available bathroom, and one could take a dump going down the road with other drivers watching.