spent cam bearings, lifters sounding like a Jehovah's witness, maybe some valve float

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

spent cam bearings, lifters sounding like a Jehovah's witness, maybe some valve float

Post by ericjon262 »

check and check. 12.749 @ 109MPH, also check. I was only able to make 2 passes, the first had a faster ET, and a better launch, the 2nd had a slower ET and a faster MPH. There's a ton left in it, even at current boost levels. I'm hoping someone else there has footage of the passes from outside the car.

https://youtu.be/N9kgq1Ecdcg

https://youtu.be/NnyFvMRTnKo
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Re: spent cam bearings, lifters sounding like a Jehovah's witness, maybe some valve float

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That's what 7 lbs of boost?
ericjon262

Re: spent cam bearings, lifters sounding like a Jehovah's witness, maybe some valve float

Post by ericjon262 »

First pass was 8.8, second pass peaked at 10.3 PSI, hopefully enabling boost control flattens the boost curve out some once I'm ready to take it the next step.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Feel free to post your boost log vs rpm. Curious of it's response
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm hoping I can improve upon this with boost control and some more timing.

RPM=green
boost=red
MPH=yellow

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

So I thought your third gear was long but it seems the getrag has a longer third than the f23.

You reving it out to near 7k rpm is why it seems to run on forever.

I was basing my assessment on how you didn't shift to 4th till about the 1k foot mark. I was usually going to 4th just after the 8th mile or just before.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

shifts were at about 6700,I wasn't quick enough to pull throttle while putting the clutch in which jumped the peak RPM registered to 7K. you think shifting it earlier would net a faster time?

I would like to get a shift light and control it with the MS3, right now I'm going by ear/feel, which is hardly accurate for anything.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

The shift RPM should be chosen such that horsepower before and after the shift is the same, or maybe a bit above that, because time wasted shifting matters less the faster you're moving.

In the absence of an actual dyno run, assuming your VE table / AFR is stable, you can just look at injector duty cycle in your datalog to estimate how airflow, and therefore horsepower, varies with RPM.

Is your tachometer not yet set up?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:01 am The shift RPM should be chosen such that horsepower before and after the shift is the same, or maybe a bit above that, because time wasted shifting matters less the faster you're moving.

In the absence of an actual dyno run, assuming your VE table / AFR is stable, you can just look at injector duty cycle in your datalog to estimate how airflow, and therefore horsepower, varies with RPM.

Is your tachometer not yet set up?
The tachometer is setup, I just don't like taking my eyes off the track, after I get more passes under my belt it will probably get better at multi tasking.

For the most part, AFR is pretty stable up top so far, trending pretty close to target, which implies the VE table is also good. on my first run I had a few problem cells, which is where I suspect I picked up the extra pound of boost when I fattened them up some.

Tunerstudio actually calculates an estimated horsepower, it has me interested enough to make a few pulls and add/remove timing and see how things go, I don't consider it an accurate number, but it's something worth investigating/using.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

ericjon262 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:34 pm check and check. 12.749 @ 109MPH, also check. I was only able to make 2 passes, the first had a faster ET, and a better launch, the 2nd had a slower ET and a faster MPH. There's a ton left in it, even at current boost levels. I'm hoping someone else there has footage of the passes from outside the car.

https://i.imgur.com/y4bo1k0.jpg

https://youtu.be/N9kgq1Ecdcg

https://youtu.be/NnyFvMRTnKo
Looks like you're getting good quick shifts out of it. Need to feed the clutch a bit more progressively.

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:52 pm So I thought your third gear was long but it seems the getrag has a longer third than the f23.
1.38*3.61 vs 1.35*3.63... not a big difference. Like you said, if shifting later it can seem a lot longer. Shifting well above peak power also seems to take forever.