84-87 Front wheel speed sensors?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Jinxmutt

84-87 Front wheel speed sensors?

Post by Jinxmutt »

Wow, glad to see this place is still active. I don't think I've posted here in over 10 years!

Anyway, I've had my 3800T running on an AEM EMS S1 since like 2008. Its been absolutely flawless, and still running on that same engine! I've finally upgraded to an AEM Infinity and I want to incorporate better traction control.

Right now I'm basically using just a threshold over ideal acceleration using vss. I would like to change this to wheel speed reference but before I try to cobble something together, I was wondering if anyone else has already done this so I don't need to reinvent anything. I've been searching and it looks like Rickady88GT was able to mount ABS rings inside 88 front bearings, but I can't find anything for 84-87.

Thanks!
ericjon262

Re: 84-87 Front wheel speed sensors?

Post by ericjon262 »

Jinxmutt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:32 am Wow, glad to see this place is still active. I don't think I've posted here in over 10 years!

Anyway, I've had my 3800T running on an AEM EMS S1 since like 2008. Its been absolutely flawless, and still running on that same engine! I've finally upgraded to an AEM Infinity and I want to incorporate better traction control.

Right now I'm basically using just a threshold over ideal acceleration using vss. I would like to change this to wheel speed reference but before I try to cobble something together, I was wondering if anyone else has already done this so I don't need to reinvent anything. I've been searching and it looks like Rickady88GT was able to mount ABS rings inside 88 front bearings, but I can't find anything for 84-87.

Thanks!

First, I'm glad to see you back! are you running a 5 speed again, or an auto?

I've seen a bunch of big power cars use a hall effect sensor triggered off of the back of the wheel studs for this purpose, if you have modified stock 84-87 hubs, this might not work well because hub castings have reinforcements for the brake rotor, but those reinforcements would work for the same idea, albeit at a fairly low resolution.

how much resolution are you needing? I have a CNC plasma cutter and could cut a set of tone rings that you could bore out to a press fit for the back of the hub and then all you need is a sensor.

I'm planning on making new knuckles for my car so that I can get way better brakes/bearings, and incorporate VSS's on each wheel.

-Eric
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I'm running 3.63 F23 with China LSD. I've destroyed a few, but they hold up better than my axle fuses so it works for me.

I have cut down front rotors and the 11.25" Lebaron/Seville Upgrade. Rear has an 88 cradle with 12" rotors and stock calipers.

I'm not sure of the details because I haven't set it up yet. I assume for the infinity I need a powered and an unpowered wheel speed. I'm assuming I can use VSS for rear "powered wheel speed" and a hub sensor for front wheel speed. Then there there should be an allowable delta between the two values before traction control is engaged.

Its not super critical because traction isn't a major problem, but its a side feature I'd like to work on just to have.

Any information on the custom hubs? Are you making only 1 set?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Jinxmutt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:16 pm I'm running 3.63 F23 with China LSD. I've destroyed a few, but they hold up better than my axle fuses so it works for me.

I have cut down front rotors and the 11.25" Lebaron/Seville Upgrade. Rear has an 88 cradle with 12" rotors and stock calipers.

I'm not sure of the details because I haven't set it up yet. I assume for the infinity I need a powered and an unpowered wheel speed. I'm assuming I can use VSS for rear "powered wheel speed" and a hub sensor for front wheel speed. Then there there should be an allowable delta between the two values before traction control is engaged.

Its not super critical because traction isn't a major problem, but its a side feature I'd like to work on just to have.
I think that's probably a fair assessment, My MS3 also has traction control available, but I have yet to explore it at all, because I don't have the I/O setup, and have plenty of other tuning variables to sort out before I get there.

I'm also running a 3.63 F23, are you running a "phantom grip"/"team green"/ springs in the spiders style "limited slip" or one of the quaife knockoffs? I'm looking at getting a quaife for my car.

when you say "I've destroyed a few" you mean the LSD or the transmission?
Jinxmutt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:16 pm Any information on the custom hubs? Are you making only 1 set?
I'm still in the design phase, it's going to be a very expensive modification because it will almost certainly require new wheels, and I'm planning a completely revised brake package as well, I currently don't have a parking brake, and that bothers me alot.

I might make a few if there's enough interest, but the biggest issue I currently have is that I don't have a mill, only a CNC plasma, some parts, that's more than ok for, hub bores will need to be more accurate than that, as will caliper mounts. I need to pick a bearing to use, I think going to 5x114.3 should get me the largest range of available bearings/rotors/wheels to work with.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I'm using the OBX LSD, it hasn't broken yet. I've stripped 4th gear and the final drives before though.
Attachments
20210402_190652.jpg
20210402_190652.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 996 times
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Also, This happens...
Attachments
case.jpg
case.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 995 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

ouch... I assume the first picture was from with a stock differential, that doesn't look like a gear type diff.

I assume these failures were on a sticky track launch? what kind of times are you cutting to do that?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Yes, all breakage was with the stock diff. Since installing the OBX, nothing has broken. Luckily, I've only broken axles at the track, all other breakage is on the street. I've never broken a trans from a dig, always during NLTS or in the middle of 3rd or 4th gear. Which is surprising because I beat the crap outta this thing and I keep it rowdy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6pGXYFguHsegeU8n6
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

That's damn sure rowdy. if I develop the knuckles I want, it'll be posted here, some critical interfaces will need to be carefully thought out first though. Please post up your implementation and results, I'm not sure they'll be applicable to my MS3, but if they are I would love to see them.