fuel tank bulkhead connectors.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

Re: fuel tank bulkhead connectors.

Post by ericjon262 »

ericjon262 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:04 pm
ericjon262 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:52 pm
another possible option is to use a passthrough like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rhc-21-0006

I like the part alot, but there's almost no info on summit's site, or their site, and a duck duck go search turns up nothing as well. They list them as being for water tanks too, which doesn't mean they won't be ok with fuel, it just means they were meant for water...

I emailed them and asked for more specifications, for now, I think I'm going to install the Racetronix setup in my spare sender with my spare pump, and then use the tank and sender in the car to prototype something more permanent. in the meantime, once I hear back from Rhodes, I'll go ahead and pick up a connector and put it in a jar of gas to see how it does. they're cheap enough, I might get two or three for testing.
Details.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/159/ ... 514443.pdf
I went ahead and ordered a pair of them, being made of Nylon, they should be fine in a fuel tank, when they get here we'll see if they're something easily capable of mounting in the stock sending unit.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's not a "pass through", but here's some pages of the (formerly) Delphi (now Aptiv) Connection Systems Global Catalog depicting a mixed-size sealed Metri-Pack connector pair with 2x 480 terminals and 5x 150 terminals. This is perfect for overkilling the shit out of the fuel pump power circuit, while maintaining level sender (and, if necessary, tank pressure sensor or ethanol content sensor) connections, all through the same connector.

[EDIT]
HaHA! I figyoored it owtt! :Yahoo!:
(Had to update attachment settings to allow attachment of .PDFs)
Attachments
Mixed_Metri-Pack_150_480.pdf
Delphi Connection Systems Global Catalog Pages
(205.29 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I like that, have you found someone who sells them individually?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

DDG the connector body part number. Typically Mouser and a few other usual suspects have stock.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:46 pm DDG the connector body part number. Typically Mouser and a few other usual suspects have stock.
they do, I was just hoping you had a source for a "connector kit" there's a level of convenience I'm willing to pay for... I've built an order with mouser, I wanted to order more terminals anyways.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

www.customconnectorkits.com ?

https://www.customconnectorkits.com/12059472/
Maybe they'll put a kit together if you ask nicely?

I do get that assembling an order for every little thing required to implement a connector can be a PITA.
Don't forget cavity & terminal seals!

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

That's actually a way better price than mouser has, like 50% better... I'll have to look more closely at them when I get home.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I got the new connector in, it's a much smarter option than what I have on the car currently (metripack 630 3 way connector), I ordered it, and a metripack/Delphi GT connector kit. The 87-88 sending unit I have is a little messed up, and requires some repairs, I haven't decided whether I want to install a larger pick up tube in it, or just a new 3/8" tube.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Info from my other thread. any input is appreciated.
ericjon262 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:22 am I took the original concept and made a few adjustments. I redrew the fitting plate and top to fit inside of a piece of 4" .065 tube, and then angled the fitting plate. this makes the overall OD about 1.6mm bigger than I had drawn, but now I can fabricate more of it, faster with my own equipment instead of relying on using other people's, or outsourcing the whole part. making the bottom plate angled helps improve fitment of the wire passthrough, as well as the fittings for the supply, return, and vent fittings. Unfortunately, this also places the largest opening, the passthrough, lower into the tank, where it will be splashed with fuel more often, and be more prone to leaking. In this specific drawing, the angle is 30 degrees, in the current revision, it's 22.5 degrees.

it will still use a bolt ring inside the tank, but I have also updated that design slightly. I decided I will use a 2 piece part, and of the 20 bolt holes in the top, 4 will be reserved specifically for holding the bolt ring in place, and the other 16 will hold the top down tight and hopefully, create a leak free seal.

Later today I'm going to cut the lower plate out on the plasma and play with the angle some. I'd like to make the angle as shallow as possible, yet still get everything as close to the top of the tank as possible so that it fits the car without further modification.

The fuel feed is currently setup to be -8 AN, to mate it to the rest of my fuel system I'll need to step it down to -6 AN, but I would rather have it step down so that I can easily step it up later.

I plan to coat the bare steel parts to prevent corrosion, more on that later.