Extremely Good Thread on Camshaft Design and Valve Events

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

zok15

Re: Extremely Good Thread on Camshaft Design and Valve Events

Post by zok15 »

I came to RFT because there is a lot of 60*V6 experience on here including yourself Shaun, and I get much more useful information on the replies in my build thread here and I appreciate the help you have provided me, I have no beef with you. The threads here are also much more technical which I appreciate, including this one originally.

But, like I said about my experience with Ben is that he was nothing but helpful to me and I have had a very positive experience doing business with him, he objectively has a lot of experience with these motors, and it is a shame that he is gone from here now.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

WTF Shaun? This isn't FaceBalk and it isn't Pfiffle. Keep this shit in VTW.

I'll take a moment to give a tutorial on technical arguments.
Shaun41178(2) wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:54 pm
zok15 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:10 am Ben, I have your strip cam that is in my LZ9, I was curious if you would be willing to share why the exhaust duration is lower than intake duration? I am mostly just curious. I also noticed the cam has no overlap at 0.050"and was curious about that too, especially seeing as this cam is for higher RPM power. I have been doing a lot of research into determining how my header primaries should be spec'd so I have been looking into this all and plugging all the values from the cam spec sheet into cam calculators.
Reverse pattern cams are pretty much a no no in the industry as countless tests have shown them to be ineffective. Even Richard holdener says not to do it.
Do you have a reference? With countless studies, you should be able to link one pretty quickly.

Here's a super-quick thread that ends with what we all should know about cams: The combo dictates the cam. Some heads need more help from the cam on the intake, some need more help on the exhaust. You could have brought up how the intake/exhaust flow split on a V6/60 should indicate whether it should run a single pattern or split cam.
https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2720

Shaun41178(2) wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:56 pm I guess you got lucky getting the comp cams box. Maybe Ben changed his shipping practices after I reamed him a new asshole about it 4years ago or so now.
If your last info is 4 years old, maybe you need new info. Did you start a thread on those difficulties at that time? You could link that...
Shaun41178(2) wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:56 pm Real world proves you wrong.
Not according to the technical content of your posts.

Here's an example:
SappySE107 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:57 am
Shaun41178(2) wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:56 pm I push people to other suppliers now.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthre ... 201&page=2

Ive had so many emails the past year and a half about his customers not getting their parts. Thats your man right there Shaun. Being sued again for not delivering.
Post a reference and leave it.
zok15

Post by zok15 »

A good thread from LS1 Tech on people running reverse split cams, the common one being the TR230. With the LS1, it takes significantly better flowing heads and intake before a traditional split can be fully taken advantage of. A traditional split cam without the supporting mods sacrifices a lot of the low down power made with a reverse split, and then barely outperforms it up top due to the intake pathway restrictions.

There are back to back dyno results linked within the thread too in addition to lots of anecdotal evidence.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-i ... in-10.html

I am neither for nor against the reverse split, I see evidence both ways, and I want to see what it does on my car. Ben's cam was designed for a stock 3400 which does have a different ratio of intake to exhaust flow compared to an LZ9, so we will see what happens with my car.
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

Attachments
DynomationLZ9cams.jpg
DynomationLZ9cams.jpg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Last edited by SappySE107 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm seriously considering a custom intake for my car, although I'm not sure when that would happen. if I do it, I'll try and make a before/after dyno, while attempting to make the only variable the intake. if at all possible, I'll try and get a dyno of my current setup, which will use top end as my new engine, but with slightly less compression, and a different cam, so there could be multiple comparisons, but not many direct A-B
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

Last edited by SappySE107 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

right, I meant a custom lower, I already have a semi custom upper intake, it's a 3500 plenum with an enlarged neck and a 76mm DBW TB.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."