88 L36 to L67 swap

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

Re: 88 L36 swap

Post by ericjon262 »

The rails normally go over the blower right? Looks like a pretty smooth execution, nice job!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

ericjon262 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:45 pm The rails normally go over the blower right? Looks like a pretty smooth execution, nice job!
Ya the do, up and over crossing several times, looks like a spiders web in stock form.

I can post some pics of how I make these utilizing the stock fuel rail and some 3/8 and 5/16 steel tubing. It's really not hard at all once you commit to chopping up the factory rail.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I bet it's even easier if you have a tube swage. it looks great!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:46 pm Wrinkle finish on the blower and valve covers looks sharp... will be hell to keep clean, though.
Thank Will:) ya guess I'll deal with that when the time come, on the plus side, a side job with a friend is we sell High end detailing products, I have an idea what will work for easy no work cleaning of the engine
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

ericjon262 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:24 pm I bet it's even easier if you have a tube swage. it looks great!
I wish I had a swage kit! I would be turning these out even nicer! I just use the basic tubing benders for brake work. I posted because I know you guys would appreciate custom work that is your own:)

I use a local fabricator to Silver solder it, he does a small favor for me, I do one for him.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

When you fucked with 6 different axles for 5 hours and yet your shortest concoction is at least an inch longer than what worked with your last swap, I don't know if it was impatience, desperation or frustration, probably a bit of all 3.

Shorting an axle 1 inch with an angle grinder
IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg (980.03 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Attachments
IMG_4198.jpg
IMG_4198.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1753 times
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

near a year later I got around to doing a thing
Attachments
IMG_4199.jpg
IMG_4199.jpg (1006.31 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
pmbrunelle

Re: 88 L36 to L67 swap

Post by pmbrunelle »

Does it bolt in place of the NA version?

How much rework has to be done?
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

The Same mounts as the NA/ Non- HD trans. Only one slight mod to the rear transaxle mount as the rear lowest left pick up hole is off set depthtwise on the Non-HD where as it flush with the rest on the HD, just knocked the spacer off the back side of my mount and it fit flush. Other than that the mounts bolted right up and it dropped right back into the cradle.
Had to do some work to the harness, not to add anything but had to lengthen a number of connectors as the Supercharger with the throttle body adapter placed things farther apart plus the area by where the battery goes got super busy with the belt drive and had to relocate all of that and change the battery cable set up.
And of course the bloody passenger side axle raised my blood pressure..... Some changes to my accessory belt drive, actually it is less complicated now all I had to do was swap the 3 inch tensioner pulley with a 4 inch one and all those problems were solved. My exhaust system didn't change, thankfully The Regal engine I originally had in there as it is the same W-body platform as what the ZZP powerlogs are made for, this created another different in the transaxle dipstick tube placement, so I robbed that out of the regal trans to sort that.

I should make note, in reality I did not have to change the harness as in add or remove anything that wasn't there nor do any re-pinning because I talked with Ryan- Sinister Fiero before hand and he was able to tune my PCM to work with my installation as is.

No major rework of the install but I changed alot of little things that I did previously and thought I could do it a little better.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

I want to give huge props to Ryan aka Sinister Fiero for his expertise and inspiration, he was there every time when I asked for help, he provided me with BCM wiring when I couldn't find it, I took inspiration of his 4 low engine mounts and semi copied it for my self, he was there when I realized my 03 trans was electronically different than my 02 PCM and I reached out and we were always on the same page. I have always took pride with doing things my way, my solutions and I would make it work one way or another but not as easily without his knowledge. This guy knows his shit, I would sit down and have a few drinks with that fella.
I put his Tuned PCM into the car and it started flawlessly within the 2nd' roll on the starter, and idled smoothly before I could get back there and video it, it shifts so seamlessly that that blower just winds like someone's cat is being tortured until I pussy out and let off the Go Pedal. When I went and had the CASE relearn done, the guys were amazed that he was able to do things such as enable Misfire codes etc that their LS tune guy couldn't do.

Thank you Ryan for being a stand up guy among the Fiero Community!
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

That sounds great! good job!