40th anniversary Dyno results

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

ericjon262

Re: 40th anniversary Dyno results

Post by ericjon262 »

jelly2m81 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:44 pm If I wanted to track or drag a car or build a dyno queen, the Fiero would be down at the bottom of the list of choices.
I think most people who build them as track day cars do so because they already have them, and I would say they can be pretty fun for the money involved if you're way more careful than I am with money.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: 40th anniversary Dyno results

Post by Series8217 »

jelly2m81 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:44 pm If I wanted to track or drag a car or build a dyno queen, the Fiero would be down at the bottom of the list of choices.
At the track you'd miss out on an underrated platform.

I have an E46 M3 Competition on Bilstein PSS10s and Hawk race brake pads. I have tracked it extensively. VIR, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, CMP, Laguna Seca, and lots of autocrosses. E46 M3s are well known to be great track cars. It's true.

I have an 88 Fiero with an LQ1, decent suspension, barely adequate brakes, and a fast steering rack. I've tracked it as much as the M3 (albeit at fewer circuits). The Fiero is so more fun that I retired the M3 from track duty.

As far as competition goes, it has yet to be proven that the Fiero can be competitive in road racing or time trials.. though darkhorizon did set a class course record at Empire Hill Climb with his 88 Fiero race car, and Fieros regularly do well and sometimes win at LeMons and Chump Car events.