Gran Damn

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

ericjon262

Re: Gran Damn

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:24 am Damn dude. Seriously glad you are ok. I've had the "wake up to a turn" experience and it ended similarly. No more driving tired. Really glad you made it out of this one without serious injury to yourself or others.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:22 am It's great to hear that you're ok. That could have gone really badly... like suddenly-and-permanently-stop-posting-no-one-knows-why badly.

Similar to my flipped Fiero... smashed it on the car's maiden voyage after auto-to-stick swap and engine replacement. It really sucks to put that much effort into it over time and then inadvertently destroy it yourself when you're the only one on the road. The impactful lessons are hard to deal with and I hope you can take some away from this... since you you already got away from it your life and all the pieces of your body.
Shaun41178(2) wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:37 pm Glad you made it out ok. That's a wreck
eHoward wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:04 pm I'm glad you're OK. That looks like it could have been really bad. If you can, I would try to find work that isn't nightshift. And if you're not feeling up to the drive, it sucks but sometimes you just have to book the hotel. I would try to charge that back to your employer or client.

I worked wacky hours for many years of my life. I had a multi-year period where I was regularly getting up at 4:30AM and returning home around 9PM to commute between PA and NYC. It definitely takes a toll on you.

The good news is you now have a perfectly valid excuse to buy another car now :crazy: maybe one with advanced safety systems.
yesterday when I got off my first nightshift for the week, I was probably a little more tired than I thought, and didn't quite make it all the way home before I woke up in a curve facing a jeep about a mile from home... I swerved, missed the jeep, but lost traction and hit an embankment and put the car on it's lid...
jdv wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:41 pm Good to see you make it out in one piece.
Thanks everyone, I'm quite glad I made it out the way I did, I'm even more thankful that the Jeep driver was totally unaffected other than missing an appointment, and an adrenaline rush.

I didn't realize I was as tired as I was until it was obviously way too late, I need to be more self aware of my limits and make sure I'm not exceeding them. I am glad it happened in this car though, and not my Suburban, my Fiero, or my truck, this was starting to become a nice car, but I had far less work in it than the Pig Rig or the Fiero, and I need my truck for truck stuff more often than not.

It sounds like USAA is going to take care of me, I'll probably put the settlement towards some repairs to my truck that I've been putting off, and to another project that's been patiently sitting in the wings awaiting some more creative modifications.

Edit to add:

I do plan on keeping the remains to try and salvage anything useful that I can out of it. the WBO2, the cam, the 5 speed parts, and maybe a few other odds and ends. I'll take a sawzall to it to get the parts, then send the rest on it's way ASAP.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

How much to buy back the write off?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:24 am Damn dude. Seriously glad you are ok. I've had the "wake up to a turn" experience and it ended similarly. No more driving tired. Really glad you made it out of this one without serious injury to yourself or others.
I smashed my E34 driving tired as well.

https://www.realfierotech.com/viewtopic ... 73#p144173
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:35 pm How much to buy back the write off?
not sure yet, waiting on a revised settlement.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I ended up getting about $4500 put in my pocket at the end of the day, it was a huge fiasco dealing with the insurance company, but I got more for the car than I probably ever could have sold it for.

Earlier today, I pulled the engine and trans, with a tractor and a sawzall.... :crazy:

I was quite pleased to see that all of the mounts I fabricated held together, however, the bosses on the differential housing one of them was bolted to got ripped apart, the transmission case is junk... oh well, I have more of them.

I was pretty bummed to see this:

I pulled the 17's off, I expected this one to be scratched up, but the giant chunk out of the lip was a bit more than I was hoping for... I liked these wheels... oh well.

Over the next couple of days I plan to pull the shift cables, clutch pedal, PCM, and a few other odds and ends, then I'll send it to it's forever home.