Parts & Materials Library / Hard to Find Parts

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Parts & Materials Library / Hard to Find Parts

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Dorman saves the day:
PN 700-251 (Pack of 25 on RockAuto)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 37&jsn=923

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 pm while I'm not sure this fits the description of "hard to find", I will say they seem kinda difficult to find as a not garbage product.

This is a fuse panel from Blue sea systems, meant for marine applications. while I've used their products in the past with good results, I noticed the covers were usually pretty rattly, this one, and it's smaller four circuit companion are much tighter, and more compact(the real important part). Because they're built for marine environments, the components are corrosion resistant, more than fine for use on a car. I would highly recommend these, part number are 5045 for four circuit, and 5046 for eight circuit.

I'm planning on picking up one of their "safety hubs" for the wiring coming off of the battery in my car, as they provide a weather-tight connection point, with megafuses for power distribution. I'll post a review of it when it gets here.
as a sort of follow up, the Blue Sea Systems parts seem to be holding up well, however, this was recently posted on Facebalk and seemed pretty intriguing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B094Z5KD ... sSUmiNPrRo

it looks like an OEM equivalent for what I made for my car, but with a tighter form factor, and an overall cleaner look.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm
as a sort of follow up, the Blue Sea Systems parts seem to be holding up well, however, this was recently posted on Facebalk and seemed pretty intriguing.

it looks like an OEM equivalent for what I made for my car, but with a tighter form factor, and an overall cleaner look.
Nice find! Do you have a source for the connectors and terminals that plug into the bottom receptacles?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Apparently they're 5mm spade connectors, the guy posting it on Facebook was looking for a source, I'll follow up if I find something different.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Not that particular part, but we used a bunch of BlueSea stuff on the buoy I built for work... bus bars, fuse blocks and breaker panels
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:08 pm

Not that particular part, but we used a bunch of BlueSea stuff on the buoy I built for work... bus bars, fuse blocks and breaker panels
I've used them a few times, both in automotive and marine applications, they seem to work well. I'm happy.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:58 pm Apparently they're 5mm spade connectors, the guy posting it on Facebook was looking for a source, I'll follow up if I find something different.
5mm spade terminals may work, but there is definitely a latching housing that goes into those receptacles..
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:00 pm
ericjon262 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:58 pm Apparently they're 5mm spade connectors, the guy posting it on Facebook was looking for a source, I'll follow up if I find something different.
5mm spade terminals may work, but there is definitely a latching housing that goes into those receptacles..
I hadn't looked at the underside of the terminal locations yet. next time I'm at the junkyard I'll try and snag parts to see if I can find some kind of part number.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

This is the battery fuse holder I have been using. I couldn't find a cover for it so I 3D printed one.

I like that has replaceable fuses, unlike the Nissan one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144794026436?m ... media=COPY
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

The combination of parking brake cables I bought for my Ford Ranger aren't working together (wrong length), so I need customized cable lengths + some adjustment.

I found this:
DODGE > 2010 > RAM 1500 PICKUP > 5.7L V8 > Brake & Wheel Hub > Parking Brake Cable Equalizer

(many other years work; the example I provided is one of many that work)

Pic from Rockauto:
Parking Brake Equalizer.png
Parking Brake Equalizer.png (146.06 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Could be useful for custom parking brake setups.

Looks like it can be used with the balance beam to pull on two cables simultaneously, or with the elongated stamped adapter to pull on a single cable.