Daily RX8 with LFX?, lol

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

draven

Daily RX8 with LFX?, lol

Post by draven »

This landed in my lap. I was looking at something to replace my "restored" daily 2005 Mazda6s 5spd as it will probably go to my oldest... Asked around at a local Miata/Mazda turned general car Friday night meetup while walking out of a restaurant about the Rx8's and if they can ever be daily driven.. ( I knew the answer is "yes, but for how long?" )

Said I'd be interested in rebuilding one as I still need a 4 door.... got a text a week later and a dude says, I have 2005 Rx8 130k miles, blowing apex seals, gave me an almost 'free' deal I couldn't pass up (I could sell the tires and rims for more than I paid)

Here you go... lol

Drivable but Apex seals are blow"ing", did a compression test by video recording the gauge and timing the pulses... and it's on it's way out as it cuts off after warm due to lack of compression... also blew a side seal while driving it around.... "lots" of mosquitoes killed and freaked the neighbors out..

Dug around interior and found almost every maintenance and repair receipt... original Renesis went at ~70-80k (with mostly MAZDA maintenance) and had a warranty Renesis installed and maintained till about 500 miles ago.

As much as I love rotaries, don't we all..... I will probably install an LFX using the keisler automation kit and daily it given all the tools and knowledge I've picked up with the Fiero LF3/LF4 swap as they are 98% same engine....

The Ford Sport Trac behind it gets it's own thread too when I pull it out of storage....lol
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Daily RX8 with LFX?, lol

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sounds fun... Like a V6 Camaro but 800 lbs lighter.

Does it keep the Mazda transmission or switch to the AY6? Does Mazda already use the AY6 transmission?
draven

Post by draven »

AY6 or the same flavor that comes with the Cadillac ATS.

Out of the box the RX8 has an "integral" re-bellhoused miata/BRZ/Toyota86 6speed, Aisin AZ6 manual. The Renesis torque comes in just under the max torque spec of the AZ6 box... high 170s'ish max tq if I remember correctly. The LS guys on stock builds pop the AZ6 without much effort. This is hearsay and forum reading of course but the LFX's can put out high 200's tq with judicious bolt on's. The kiesler latest kit comes with new drive shaft to a Ford 8.8 IRS rear and custom axles.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I drove some special edition but otherwise stock MT RX8 once and it was an absolute blast. Punches way way way above it's pay grade. Probably one of the best car chassis ever made. Just needs a good reliable engine with at least 300hp. An LFX/LGX swap would be awesome.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

draven wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:40 am The kiesler latest kit comes with new drive shaft to a Ford 8.8 IRS rear and custom axles.
Yeah, Ford IRS 8.8's were the hot ticket for FD3s when everyone was LS swapping them to piss off the purists.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:50 pm I drove some special edition but otherwise stock MT RX8 once and it was an absolute blast. Punches way way way above it's pay grade. Probably one of the best car chassis ever made. Just needs a good reliable engine with at least 300hp. An LFX/LGX swap would be awesome.
I've driven a lightly modded FD3... exceptional chassis as well.

I'd have one, but the only way I really fit is with a racing seat bolted to the floor.
draven

Post by draven »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:44 pm I'd have one, but the only way I really fit is with a racing seat bolted to the floor.
Although not quite as tall as you Will, the RX8 roof was just about 1/8" above my scalp, so hat hair instantly.... looked up seat mods to lower it about an inch... got behind the seat to do the mod and it had already been done.... lol