your ultimate Fiero. Spare no expense

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:The LT5 is physically huge, the heads wouldn't even fit in a fiero without cutting. It would hit firewall to trunk, I think.

The LT5 is also heavy, the N* is superior in pretty much every way except displacement wise.

Its intake might be better, it actually has 16 intake runners. A bit over kill....
I agree the N* is superior, except in horsepower, potential, head flow, and the rarity factor.

I think it would just be an awesome motor to have in a Fiero. After driving a few ZR1s, and 2 N*s, I can honestly say the N* didn't impress me. But in a 6000lb Caddy with a slushbox, little would. However that ZR1, well not shockingly fast, permanently scarred my brain. I;d rather have it than a 2006 Z06.

That is the only way in which it might not fit, but I think its possible. The trunk would probably need to go, especially if you wanted to get the factory exhaust manifolds, or a set of headers, on it.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Well I'd start off with an '88 coupe with no power options.

Engine-Quad-four
-I'd have mantapart build it up special for a turbo application. (De-stroked Forged crank, titanium rods, low compression forged pistons, ported head, custom cams etc...)
-Have Bryson weld me up one of those custom equal-length turbo headers that he can do.
-Slap a junkyard T-3.........errr I mean some kind of sweet turbo. Maybe a GT28R, or even a GT30R (the VW crowd seems to like these turbos)
-3"DP and exhaust.
-Haltech standalone
-Custom Griffin Rad
-Water/alcohol injection or some sort of custom water/air IC
-Plenty of dyno-tuning for pump and race-gas applications.

Tranny-
-5-speed Getrag with case and gears cryo'd One from a FWD car.
-Custom Final drive somewhere between 3.85 and 4.10
-Phantom-grip LSD
-Quartermaster clutch

Brakes-
-The VW guys like to get their hands on porsche boxster rotors and calipers and looking that the setup, with some custom brackets I think it could be adapted. So if I could do this, I'd have porsche calipers, two-piece slotted rotors (I forget the stock size) portedfield R4 pads and motul fluid.
-If I could adapt this, I would use the setup I have already except new rotors: Stock fiero caliper, Porterfield R4-S pads, motul fluid, and I would get Baer two-piece C-4 rotors.

Suspension-
Rear- Koni reds with HMS coilovers with ~450lb springs, full derlin bushings, bigger addco RSB.

Front-If I couldn't find a stiffer front spring like ~300-350lbs, I'd go with the HMS front coil overs with Koni reds, full derlin bushings and bigger addco FSB

Aggressive algnment settings. Tire-wear not a concern

Wheels-
16x7 front and 16x9 in the rear of some sort of custom-made forged lightweight wheel, kinda like the ones at Kodiak Racing wheels. 225 50-16's in the front, and 265 50-16's in the rear with Falken Azeni's of Kuhmo MX's for the street and Hoosiers for the track.

I should note that all of this would cost WELL over $15k, and I still don't think this car would be able to hang with the big boys.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

thats cuz you wasted all that money on fancy parts to run a 4cyl :la:

the porsche thing has been done by one guy on Old Europe - a subaru swap would be easier and there is a big market for it - mostly would need to modify the zetner brackets to position the dual pot subaru calipers correctly - the bolt pattern is the same for the rotors - never measured the offset..

not sure where all your money is going to be well over 15K because my engine car has about 4K in it - including a 500$ fiero and a 1000$ engine plus turbo/tubing/moates autoprom programmer/ etc, 11.25" brakes, 17" wheels and tires, battery relocation, poly everything

would it compete with an enzo?

HEELLLL NO

but i didn't build it to do that - just to hang with the currect fast production cars
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

KissMySSFiero wrote:
Lex wrote:
Aaron wrote: Do the ordinary SBC swaps require cutting?
I think Archies do if you don't go with an electric water pump.
no frame cutting. At least not on mine.
I think the LT1 requires frame cutting or notching because of the waterpump or something.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

LT1 does require frame cutting, and it needs to be moved towards the drivers side 2", which will also require custom axels.

SBC is not cost effective because of the V-8 kit you have to buy, plus a 400+ hp sbc isn't exactly cheap to build.

The waterpump and optispark on the LT1 stick out the front of the engine

LT5 would also use a V-8 kit, but like I said, it may not even fit in a fiero engine bay. Its a very wide engine.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

What about LS1s and LS6s they are a better engine than LT1, and they are lighter. I'm not sure if you have to cut the frame though :scratch:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

No idea, only seen pictures of 2 or 3 of them, none from underneath or the sides.

Its much better than other SBC's, especially weight wise, and they are fairly bulletproof.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Throw the $15K limit out the window.

Fully built TT Northstar. 1K HP.
Custom transmission from scratch... Even the best built 282 just won't cut it when you want to play with the big boys.
Helical gears, dog engagement, sequential shifting. Yes, it'll require frame cutting. So what? The stock Fiero frame is good but isn't world class.

custom fabbed cradle
SLA suspension that is mostly bolt on... upper arm would mount to Fiero frame rail
275's I think are the widest that will fit under stock rear body work. Will need IMSA widebody to fit 335's.
275's up front. Custom three piece wheels. As small as possible to clear brakes and suspension. 17's... maybe 18's.

C5 or fully custom front suspension
Porsche ceramic brakes. C6 ZO6 ceramic brakes when they become available (IE, when the option price can drop below $4K)

Chase Race roll cage

And I'll have to back half the car... tube frame clip from the rear firewall back. That will provide enough room and the necessary chassis integrity to deal with a TT Northstar.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

LS7 from a new ZO6.

Fully redone suspension. Held shit everywhere.

Would need a custom built trans to handle 500 hp from the LS7.

Some 17's and a 13" brake upgrade.

That on my 88 coupe and I would be happy.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Well shit, now that the salary cap is gone, let me get out my catalog. :thumbleft: