How much horsepower?

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

S8n

Post by S8n »

Great. This means the diff carrier has to be redone. Ok, how about surface finishing, like Mikronite's? There is a good article about it in November (current) issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, page 182.
Supposed to do about the same thing as cryo, but no temp change involved. http://www.mikronite.com/
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
S8n

Post by S8n »

Ok, here's another question for the quarte milers: Which rear suspension is better for launching, the pre '88s or the '88?
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I havent' taken my 88 to the track but my old 85 gt with auto was able to cut 1.8 and 1.9 60 fts. that was on stock street tires too. No idea whatmy new setup will do as its a manual and a different track I woudl be at too.

Traction is traction. Tires have a lot to do with it. Tires on any car can really change the launch of it
S8n

Post by S8n »

Very true, but suspension is a very important key as well. Putting the power to the ground without tire hop (which can and will lead to failed parts) is what I'm looking for. I'm already eyeing up adjustable coil-overs and LSD, just not sure which one's yet. It looks like the '88s handle better, but I'd rather go in a straight line.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

With my 85 gt I had just an addition of a fiero store rear sway bar on the back as far as suspension mods go. Stock struts and shox and springs.

I havent' really tried launching my 88 formula on the street hard. I would rather not run the risk of breaking something just because I have a case of the idiots. I do have soft tires even though they are street tires and they handle well. In florida being a soft compound the hot streets get them up to temp quickly

The fiero by design launches well being as most of the weight is over the rear tires but I am able to light them up when I am going hard froma dig if I just drop the clutch.

Just feather the clutch in first and you shouldn't spin much if at all.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Well, until I see hard data that proves otherwise, I'd wager the 88 should launch better.

Someone that's modeled the toe curves could tell you exactly what the difference in toe change would be. You want zero toe for the least amount of resistance on a drag car.

I believe the 88s also come with softer springs which will be better for launches.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

S8n wrote:Ok, here's another question for the quarte milers: Which rear suspension is better for launching, the pre '88s or the '88?
I haven't seen many stock '88 cars. If the trailing arms are higher at the front pivot than at the rear pivot, then the suspension will have anti-squat, which is good for launching hard.

The early suspension has pro-squat, which is one reason Fieros have so much nose lift with powerful enignes.

As far as off the line traction goes, that's the only material difference.

Any Fiero will be able to hook up hard because of the rear weight bias. Also, the torque reaction from the engine/transmission combo plants both rear tires equally. These two things give Fieros a significant edge against traditional front engine live axle drag racing cars like Mustangs. With a live axle, the torque reaction plants one tire but unloads the other.

FieroX was running early suspension when he was cutting 1.5x sixties on drag radials. That was with stock bushings as well... they help cushion the shock load of a hard launch. He also experimented with different kinds of engine mounting and found that a very solid pivot style mount at the front of the cradle gave him the best traction.

Wheel hop is more a function of the relationship of springs and dampers than of suspension geometry. I had wheel hop with 300# springs and Gabriel struts. I now have 325# springs and Koni struts. I no longer have wheel hop issues.

Stiffer springs are generally good for drag racing because compressing soft springs is just wasting time. Specifically, it delays fully loading the contact patch, which delays maximum traction.
S8n

Post by S8n »

Excellent info! THe motor and trans are going to have solid mounts, so I've been debating between rubber and poly cradle mounts. The rear sway bar is going to be a must for me, with the LSD should plant the power evenly.
For shocks and springs, Koni is about the only good choice out there, or even more expensive drag only components. How hard do the 325# springs ride? I do favor utility over luxury, but I don't want a bone rattling ride if I don't have to. Should I be worried about lifting the front tires? If it will lift the fronts, will the rear spindles take the weight of the car without distorting or even cracking?
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com