MAP vs MAF

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

donk_316
Booooooost

MAP vs MAF

Post by donk_316 »

MAP controlled pcms are "better" right? Atleast thats what I allways thought.

Now reading through my SAFC2 manual it mentions "hotwire" systems (which i assume is a MAF) and it seems that MAF systems have a slight advantage as far as tunability.

Am I drunk?

Heres a "omg your an idiot...go post on Old Europe" question...Can you run both a MAP and a MAF.

Just seems to me that running a pressure and a flow sensor would be a good thing.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you can run both. Many cars do it today as a matter of fact.

THere is a reason why many cars use Maf today. Its more accurate in determining how much fuel should be added

Map systems are good for boost. A lot of the supra guys ditch the Maf setup and run a Map setup.

You want to set up your safc to run off a pressure sensor Ie Map sensor.

I have instructions here on how to hookit up and such. also tehre is a post on 60 degree about it. I think in the DOHC section. It should stick out. SAFC is in the title. I saw some diagrams in there on it. And I can tell you how to progam it to work on our engines once you get it wired up.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Thanks Shaun.

I saved the pic of the wiring from the 60 degree post. I also posted there to get his feedback. Probably wont have time to wire it up till the spring. Ill keep you posted. Nice thing about the Safc is that it will help a non boosted motor also.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Running both MAP and MAF is a function of software. '94 and newer LT1 electronics and LS1 electronics use both MAF and MAP. They compute and initial fueling solution with the MAF, then cross check MAP base fuel solution. If MAF fails, they fall back to MAP. That's why you can unplug the airflow meter from a Camaro and it turns on the SES light, but a Mercedes with unplugged airflow meter is virtually undriveable.

But you can't do both unless you have an ECM that understands both.